Qualifying total standardised score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shrm

Qualifying total standardised score

Post by Shrm »

Hi,
Kendrick has 107 as the qualifying total standardised score to apply for a place. I remember seeing 108 as the qualifying score for previous year. I would like to know if there is a reason for this difference and does it give any idea about the scores this year and what are the chances of getting a place for a score of 114ish?

Thanks
Reading Mum

Re: Qualifying total standardised score

Post by Reading Mum »

they run their own admissions and can set the figure to whatever they want. They can see the home addresses of all the applicants so will know how many are OOC - maybe they want to achieve a certain number in in catchment above the QS. I would have thought you would be fine with 114.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The qualifying score was 110 in the last few years. 108 was Reading School QS.

In previous years 114.xx was about the cutoff for kendrick, so I’d agree with RM, you should be fine with that score.

I suspect the reason it to ensure the number of in catchment qualifiers is about the same as previous years.
tonyheung

Post by tonyheung »

As the standardisation is based on the z-score and standard deviations, so the school can always adjust it based on the in-catchment number vs the PAN, so lowering the qualifying score is irrelevant to the increase/decrease of the in-catchment number (as long as the sample size is large enough). The only effect on lowering the qualifying score is allow (i) looked after child (CAT1) and (ii) PP/SP child (CAT2) better chance to get in. The effect will be increasing the social mobility, whether it is something to do with the upcoming PAN increase or not. I have two boys so I am not following Kendrick much in the forum, sure some others would have better view on this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now