Catchment vs. Rank preference

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rhiane

Re: Catchment vs. Rank preference

Post by rhiane »

[/quote]when we did the open days I liked Herschel (pastoral care) whereas my son preferred LGS (music). Based on the open tours I couldn't understand why LGS is oversubscribed compared to others[/quote]

I don't think it's oversubscribed compared to others? They all are!
When we looked at the schools for DD a few years back we didn't like the 2 you mention (in fact one of them we were very unimpressed with) but liked both Upton and St Bernards.
Swings and Roundabouts
trimission

Post by trimission »

Thank you for your advice, appreciate it as always!
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

When we were looking (so many moons ago) my DD wasn't interested in Herschell even though I wanted to have a look, nor was she that interested in LBS.

We did have a look at Upton but still preferred the feel of St Bernards and that was the one we used to give her a boost when she was studying. She is now in year 9 and is still making friends (she is shy but also autistic so struggles with that aspect).

When it came to look at GS for my ds, I'm not sure he even wanted to go anywhere else. He preferred St B's as it felt familiar to him which is important for his SEN needs.

I know that they are increasing the PAN so next year will be very interesting indeed but at the mome the pastoral care is really good (better then their primary).

We are told that they will get good grades (doing very well) but that the school also looks to making them more well rounded citizens e.g. mind, body and soul.

Good luck
usernamenotfound

Post by usernamenotfound »

rhiane wrote:
You will see that Langley is not the top performing Slough school for 2017 GCSE (Grade 5 & above) they were exactly the same as Upton but Upton had a far higher Progress 8
2018, Langley had slightly better GSCE results but again a slightly lower Progress 8 score!
Each year the 4 schools change places with each other but remain very close.

I really believe that there is nothing to choose between the Slough schools academically, they are all very close and all excellent schools.
Upton is the perfect fit for my two DC, whereas I feel Langley wouldn't have been
I am after the same info, for second choice and we only have three choices, so really struggling now. How do you differentiate between or choose one from Slough schools please?
We couldn't go to any of the open evenings, other than St. Bernard's (and DD was not very impressed), we are catholics, so that is one option. But looking at it as *trimission* said, I am not sure of the achievement/progress level. Couldn't make out much difference from looking at gov.uk comparison. We won't be in catchment for Langley, so would like to know more about Herschel and Upton court, please. I don't know anyone personally to ask either . Any help on this would be much appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now