realistic advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: realistic advice please

Post by Tinkers »

Have a read of this as it explains how allocations are made, with a simple example.

Hopefully it will help you make sense of it.

Golden rule, put the schools in your genuine order of preference.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

You should list the schools in your genuine order of preference. The schools (even the Catholic ones) won't know which order you have put them in so your ranking for each school won't be affected by where you put it on the CAF.

It isn't the case that each school looks at first preferences first and only moves to second and lower preferences if it can't fill its places from first preferences. You are ranked by each school according to its admissions criteria and can't leapfrog people by putting a school higher up the CAF.

If you aren't offered the first school on your list then your second preference becomes you first, and so on down the form.

Schools do find out the following year how many first preferences etc they have admitted but it doesn't affect the admissions process.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Katka1311
I know this feels difficult/confusing but you must stop and read the links and advice provided. Put the schools in your genuine order of preference, you will not miss out on anything by doing this, do not put down any schools which you would not be able to send your DC to (Wycombe/Chesham). Luxuriate in your privileged position of having several options, the quality/like of which most Londoners, for distance or (lack of) religious reasons would never be able to dream of and yet whose DC still do well. No schools will know where you have listed them
ETA sorry cross posted with everyone!
mad?
katka1311

Post by katka1311 »

Tinkers wrote:Schools will not fill up with those who put the school first or second. The schools do not allocate according to where people place them on the CAF but how they are placed in the school admissions criteria.
yes I understand that, but in case people who are placed higher according to admission criteria, /e.g sibling, distance etc/ AND they would place the school also on 1st and 2nd position...in that case the place would go to them...my worry is that all the schools seem to be sooo oversubscribed the chances of getting lucky are too low....

Regarding catholic schools...is this quote not true then..
" St. Bernard's Catolic Grammar school operates a frist preference policy in collaboration with other Catholic schools. This means if your preferances include other Catholic schools, these schools will be aware of your choices, nd if our child does not pass the 11+ examination it may have implications for gaining a second choice Catholich school"
katka1311

Post by katka1311 »

mad? wrote:Katka1311
I know this feels difficult/confusing but you must stop and read the links and advice provided. Put the schools in your genuine order of preference, you will not miss out on anything by doing this, do not put down any schools which you would not be able to send your DC to (Wycombe/Chesham). Luxuriate in your privileged position of having several options, the quality/like of which most Londoners, for distance or (lack of) religious reasons would never be able to dream of and yet whose DC still do well. No schools will know where you have listed them
ETA sorry cross posted with everyone!
Thank you...I really appreciate for reading my posts and still being patient with me..yes I have read through all the posts numerous times, I guess I just go by what my heart says...not considering the WHAT IF's...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

yes I understand that, but in case people who are placed higher according to admission criteria, /e.g sibling, distance etc/ AND they would place the school also on 1st and 2nd position...in that case the place would go to them...my worry is that all the schools seem to be sooo oversubscribed the chances of getting lucky are too low....
No they wouldn’t get the place just because they had placed the school higher than you. Where the school is placed on the CAF has absolutely no bearing in whether they will get a place or not.

Everything is based on the admissions criteria, nothing is based on position on the CAF.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

katka1311 wrote: Regarding catholic schools...is this quote not true then..
" St. Bernard's Catolic Grammar school operates a frist preference policy in collaboration with other Catholic schools. This means if your preferances include other Catholic schools, these schools will be aware of your choices, nd if our child does not pass the 11+ examination it may have implications for gaining a second choice Catholich school"
Where does this come from?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I can’t see that anywhere in the St Bernard’s admissions.

https://stbernards.s3.amazonaws.com/upl ... 1535471997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Can you show us where this quote is from?

This is the Slough Consortium of GS
https://stbernards.s3.amazonaws.com/upl ... 1535471997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will find an explanation for listing schools on your CAF.

x-posted with Tinkers.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

katka1311 wrote:
Tinkers wrote:Schools will not fill up with those who put the school first or second. The schools do not allocate according to where people place them on the CAF but how they are placed in the school admissions criteria.

Regarding catholic schools...is this quote not true then..
If a child is ranked higher than you because of a sibling or whatever then yes they will get the place ahead of you, even if they put it lower on the form. The only way you would get a place instead of them is if they are offered a school higher up their form. The advice on here is always to name a school you are confident you will get and would be comfortable with otherwise you could be offered a school that's miles away and unpopular.

I've never seen anything like that St Bernards thing before. Is it part of the admissions policy? It doesn't seem workable under the rules as I understand them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now