Realistic chance of Reading Boys 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jane5

Realistic chance of Reading Boys 2019

Post by Jane5 »

My DS achieved score of 111.13 for Reading Boys. I have looked at historical data for 2018 admission. The number of applicants was 737 at Reading boys and 238 from another centre. For 2019 entry, that figure was 873 and 292. The highest score achieved for 2019 entry is 129.70 compared to 126 in 2018. Whilst the lowest mark admitted for 2018 was 110.45, does my DS stand a chance in view of increased number of candidates? I am about to complete the secondary school online application. Thanks in advance
ConfusedFather

Re: Realistic chance of Reading Boys 2019

Post by ConfusedFather »

My DS is probably one or two rank above yours, so we are exactly in the same place as you are. And from all the data I gathered, we have absolutely no indication of whether they have a chance or not. Hence, just put your DC for Reading as choice #1 and see where it goes on March the first.

If you are into technicalities, your DS would have been accepted last year, with maybe a 10-15 rank margin (am at work and do not have the data, so jsut trying to recall broad brush numbers). That was with about 15 children above him not going to Reading (either not applied in CAf, or went private).
Assuming a similar grade distribution, and given that in-catchment eligible children havec gone up from 200 to 230, it would indicate that there would be about 20 about children above our DCs, and they would just get-in or miss-out.

But the key thing is that it assumes a similar grade distribution as last year, which was massively over-represented in the 108-112 range. If this year's distribution follows more closley the normal distribution curve, they should be comfortably admitted. If on the other hand, all those 208+ children are skewed towards the 112+, then we'll miss out by 20 ranks or more.

All of that to say, we have zero clue as to how things are, all we can say is that a grade of 111 is a fantastic achievment of our DCs, which is more than required to study at RS (108) and probably around the top 20% of the applicant pool.
Last edited by ConfusedFather on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane5

Post by Jane5 »

Thanks so much. That is very helpful so fingers crossed. I will put Reading as first choice and hope for the best
Jane5

Post by Jane5 »

Good morning confused father. Did your DS get in. Trying to work out the cut off points
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Jane5 wrote:Good morning confused father. Did your DS get in. Trying to work out the cut off points
No, trying to get info on how to know what is his position on the waiting list to see if it is worth going through a few weeks of uncertainty.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I would be expecting Reading school to be putting info on their website his morning about the highest WL place score.

Unlike Kendrick I have never really got info on how the waiting list has moved in previous years, so not sure how much to expect.

This year is a bulge year across the country, and there are pressures on secondary places everywhere.

I hope you have both been offered other schools you are reasonably happy with in the meantime (make sure you accept them) and fingers crossed.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Tinkers wrote:I would be expecting Reading school to be putting info on their website his morning about the highest WL place score.

Unlike Kendrick I have never really got info on how the waiting list has moved in previous years, so not sure how much to expect.

This year is a bulge year across the country, and there are pressures on secondary places everywhere.

I hope you have both been offered other schools you are reasonably happy with in the meantime (make sure you accept them) and fingers crossed.

Yes, he got in his great local comp, so no worries on that side.
Quick process question though: on the council's website, do we need to accept the comp AND put him on the WL for reading? Or one excludes the other and we should therefore only put him on the WL, and in 20-ish days accept the comp if the WL has not moved enough?
Last edited by ConfusedFather on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You should absolutely accept the place, as if you don’t you are in danger of not having a school place at all. Accepting th place doesn’t affect the WL or even stop you appealing should you wish,

Most LAs/schools will automatically place you on the waiting list for any higher preference schools, but you should check this happens as not all LAs do. I’m pretty sure RBC and WBC do.
Becky_Hill

Post by Becky_Hill »

Our DS did not get a place, his score was 111.96.
Becky_Hill

Post by Becky_Hill »

Becky_Hill wrote: Our DS got 111.94 but no place. Sorry, previously posted score (111.96) was a mistake. Hope this helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now