Frustration

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

beebob57

Frustration

Post by beebob57 »

We are in our 40 s and have just been through the **** of 11+ and are still waiting for the results, due tomorrow.
What we parents are finding hard to understand is exactly why, in this day and age, is why we cannot afford to send our child to a private school. We were both educated privately and even though we are both professionals now...we cannot afford to pay private school fees for 2 children that our parents afforded somewhat more easily.30 years ago.
One of us....me..mum..has bent over backward to educate to KS2 level level 5 and tutored 1 son for 11+ though still we have to wait,as said before.
What is so wrong with the times that we live in that so called " Middle Class" parents with a middle income can not afford a decent education for our children? Yes, we have to strive for the Grammar School option, because there is nothing else.that is affordable.
Surely, there must be a political party out there that is willing to help us to get there, for our childrens and the futures sake.
I love reading posts about 11+ parents who are worried about QE Boys Habs etc, but what I really want to know is.....just how many of you are like me?
Crammed 11+ into 8 months prior to test, hoping that they get into a decent Grammar, because you too know that if you have to go privately, it will cost you your health, wealth and more, much much more.
I work in a state junior school (as an educated though not qualified LSA) and have a little inside knowledge, I know that if I want my son to do well, I have to and have tutored all the way.
Where have we 40 year old educated parents gone so wrong, that we now have to rely on the state to hopefully educate our children up a decent standard?

Probably not too many parents out there that feel like me, but if there are, please let me know. maybe just maybe we can change this tide of chance and luck, because, that is all it really is.

Beebob57
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Dear Beebob

I really hope you get some good news tomorrow and begin to feel better the whole 11+ lark.

I can't agree with everything you say as I can afford private schools (and paid at primary level) but opted not to go for them preferring the grammar school option which in many areas is more keenly sought after than places at independent schools.

How do educated 40+ (ooops nearer 50.... really) people afford it - well it depends on the profession you are in ... I am at work at the mo and know that many of the other doctors on the on call rotas tonight are working the extra hours to pay the fees, I am sure many of them would not be working evenings / nights / weekends if they had good grammar schools in their areas. I suppose we are lucky in that there is scope to earn a bit more by the extra sessions - not all professions can so this.

Not sure what to suggest just KFC for the morning!

HM
wokinghamdad

Post by wokinghamdad »

Hi beebob57,

Which school did you aim for? I was 'lucky' enough to get into Habs Asks as a child and hated it. I like to think that my folks could have save a few bob (I had a partial bursary) and sent me to a good local school with the spare cash going to bribe me to pass exams and extra tuition where needed. My siblings turned out much more 'rounded' than I did!

WD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now