Is it Kendrick or Oxford High School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OXFORDMUM

Is it Kendrick or Oxford High School?

Post by OXFORDMUM »

Could anyone advise us that which is the best school? Is it Kendrick grammar school or Oxford high school? Offcourse if we take money out of the question… I have just gone through the document (University Admissions By Individual School) which is published by Sutton Trust.
Here is the URL for that http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/E ... Strust.pdf
I am totally confused. Can someone advise us about which school is the best school to get into Oxbridge? Can children develop personality development, extra activities and technical knowledge in Kendrick? I know that there are different clubs in Oxford High school for Science, creative writing and elocution etc. Is it because of these extra activities that students are going to Oxbridge?
solimum

oxbridge etc...

Post by solimum »

There is no "Oxbridge University" . There are a number of very good universities in this country, among which the ancient establishments of Oxford and Cambridge are rightly regarded as being excellent places for some of the brightest students to study a range of subjects at degree level. It should never be the aim of choosing a school just to "get into Oxbridge" - a school should certainly ensure that those who are capable of studying at the highest levels should have their aspirations raised, and be encouraged to apply to a selcetion of the best universities for their chosen subject, and the argument of the Sutton Trust is that, sadly, there are many schools where bright children who could potentially aspire to such degree courses are not getting the chance even to apply, either through bad advice on choice of A levels, lack of aspiration from teachers or peers, ignorance of the process, lack of encouragement etc. I'm sure neither of the schools you mention would fall into that category, and so your child's chances of a place at Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, Birmingham, Imperial etc are limited only by their talents, their interest/ enthusiasm for studying a subject at a high level, a certain amount of luck, confidence in interviews (which can of course be assisted by help from schools/ parents/ friends) and the little matter of finance.....
OXFORDMUM

Is it Kendrick School or Oxford High School

Post by OXFORDMUM »

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I totally agree with you. It all depends on individual talent. My only concern is that can pupils able to develop personality development in Grammar schools?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at their newletters - are academic results given the highest profile or are all achievements celebrated? Was does the school 'feel' like - you can tell a lot by walking around and listening to pupils talk. Look at noticeboards - is there a school council, lots of clubs, vibrant activities with some ruun by prefects - all of these say the school is good.

Some GS have excellent pastoral care -
teacher

Ox High

Post by teacher »

I'm not sure what you mean by personality development; doesn't everybody's personality develop wherever they go to school???! I have a child at a grammar school and one at Oxford High. Both are fantastic schools and I would rate both equally highly. I'm not bothered if they get in to Oxbridge or not as they are both just experiencing the opportunities on offer at both schools. There are more things in life than Oxbridge, believe it or not!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now