UCGS or LGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Faisal2110

UCGS or LGS

Post by Faisal2110 »

Dear all,

My dear nephew has done well enough in his exam that they are blessed with having the choice of all the Grammar schools around them in Slough. Before the results they thought they'd made their decision and opted for UCGS but doubt has managed to creep in again! From speaking to people they get the feeling Langley seems to push its students more whereas UCGS is more laid back (but results last year seem to suggest otherwise?). Can anybody advise us from their own experiences? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rhiane

Re: UCGS or LGS

Post by rhiane »

Faisal2110 wrote:Dear all,

My dear nephew has done well enough in his exam that they are blessed with having the choice of all the Grammar schools around them in Slough. Before the results they thought they'd made their decision and opted for UCGS but doubt has managed to creep in again! From speaking to people they get the feeling Langley seems to push its students more whereas UCGS is more laid back (but results last year seem to suggest otherwise?). Can anybody advise us from their own experiences? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have 2 DC at Upton (Y7 & Y10) and am very happy with it.
Langley do have a reputation for being more pushy but their GCSE results are not that much different to Upton, last year Upton had a much Higher Progress 8 and identical Grade 5 and up GCSEs, Ebac etc, this year Langley has a slightly higher Grade 5 and up GSCEs but slightly lower Progress 8.
I do think that Upton isn't as pushy which is one of the reasons I like it so much, neither my DD or DS have been stressed at any point (early days for DS) and are very happy which is more than I can say for my friend's DS who is at Langley! (Y10) interestingly this friend sent her DS2 to Upton this year!
At the end of the day, they are both good schools, but I felt Upton was a better fit for my DD.
Upton has also just had a multi million refurbishment and it's pretty impressive! Langley imo is looking a bit tired, drop off/pick up is also easier at Upton, Langley is a real bottleneck.
Out of interest what was his score?
Faisal2110

Post by Faisal2110 »

Thank you so much for your reply. It's exactly what I was hoping for. The post was for my nephew who manage to score 129 of I remember correctly but I will ask my sister to confirm that. They also felt the vibe and facilities at UCGS were brilliant but when they started talking to locals they were unsure again. I guess it is different for everyone and you have to try to see what would suit your DC the most and allow them to excel. Thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful. I hope it's OK for me to direct message you any further queries?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Excellent score, sounds like he will thrive at Grammar school.

More than happy for you to DM me.

Good luck, both schools are excellent