Earley (reading) Transport to Slough Grammar advise pls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FAM79

Earley (reading) Transport to Slough Grammar advise pls

Post by FAM79 »

Hi All, My DD score 108.39 for Kendrick (107 qualifying) and 117 for Slough (111 qualifying), we are living in Earley Reading, just wanted to know if someone from reading or Woodley get admission in slough schools and how they are managing transport for their son or daughter.

if someone is already sending their to these schools, please share transport details.

Regards
Tinkers

Re: Earley (reading) Transport to Slough Grammar advise pls

Post by Tinkers »

I believe there is some transport but don’t know which Slough schools it serves.

Tbh given the state of the M4 issues this week (and on a regular basis) and the smart motorway upgrade roadworks, I’d seriously consider one of the several good local schools we are lucky to have locally. Or maybe the train.

One of my colleagues does the same journey but in reverse and wouldn’t consider making his children do the same, and he is going against the general flow of traffic.
Jane5

Post by Jane5 »

I live near you and my son goes to St Bernards. He is in year 9. The journey to school is fine. Train from Reading and he either walks or gets on the bus. My DS is on borderline for Reading Boys so I'll put St Bernard as 2nd choice. There are loads of children on the train to Upton Court and St Bernards
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Jane5 wrote:I live near you and my son goes to St Bernards. He is in year 9. The journey to school is fine. Train from Reading and he either walks or gets on the bus. My DS is on borderline for Reading Boys so I'll put St Bernard as 2nd choice. There are loads of children on the train to Upton Court and St Bernards
Yes I think the train is always going to be the more preferable option.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

There are fast trains from Reading central tonSlough.
BUT.... think about this first:
1) how long to take how will you get to reading station, and from there back again?
If it takes a 20 min drive, then 10 mins wait for train, then 20 min train, then 15 minute walk, you have a four-stage journey for your 11 year old which takes over 2 hours each day.... are you happy for them to travel alone? How aBout in the dark, or when it’s icy?

2) what will you do when the trains mess up and are all cancelled? Especially if parents work or have other DC to get to school?

These are both important considerations as the schools will not be impressed if your child’s attendence is knocked or they are late because someone had to drive them twenty miles plus to school on the days the trains don’t run properly.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The biggest factor here I think (especially from Earley) would be getting to Reading station.

If that’s quick and easy, then it’s the way to go. Options would be parent driving (they may be driving in anyway), bus (that’s variable depending on where in Earley you live) or train from Earley into Reading (again easy if you live relatively near Earley station but some parts of Earley are a fair distance away).
FAM79

Post by FAM79 »

Thanks a lot for everyone's reply, I came to know that HGS is the only Grammar school that provides the transport and it cost 2000 per year.
I feel like safest bet would be HGS, but looking at results of HGS, Langley, uptown court, St. Bernard's school and Maiden Erlegh school, I am getting confused.

regards
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You can’t compare the results of ME with those of grammars. ME has a broad intake and not selective. Its results therefore will always look poorer than the GSs. However ME have a great reputation driving the brighter students.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now