How many pass?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: How many pass?

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks. (In theory some of those sharing could be other schools, not just Reading and kendrick, but I’d expect most of them to be.)

I suspect the 2017 one will have been taken down.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

Found the one for 2017 entry

http://www.uptoncourtgrammar.org.uk/upl ... esults.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

That's interesting!
There were 530 more appearing at the Slough Grammars this year compared to last year.
Those sharing with other schools were much the same 500 v 507.

I don't suppose you found any info on how many qualified? 40% seems a bit high?
I honestly thought the exam was standarised to allow 32-33% (ish) through!

Maybe i'm wrong?
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

rhiane wrote:That's interesting!
There were 530 more appearing at the Slough Grammars this year compared to last year.

Maybe i'm wrong?
Hi Rhiane,

From the anonymous standardised data I have seen from the 2017 exam, it looks like 36% passed!

Hoping some of the more experienced members of the forum can help confirm if its always around this figure?

I dont get why there’s 530 more sitting at Slough grammars yet the ‘other schools’ figure remained the same?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Gee9876 wrote:
rhiane wrote:That's interesting!

Maybe i'm wrong?
Hi Rhiane,

From the anonymous standardised data I have seen from the 2017 exam, it looks like 36% passed!

Hoping some of the more experienced members of the forum can help confirm if its always around this figure?

I dont get why there’s 530 more sitting at Slough grammars yet the ‘other schools’ figure remained the same?
It just doesn't make a lot of sense for 40% to qualify! there must be at least 5 applicants for every Slough Grammar school place!
Regarding the increased amount of 'sitters' this year, maybe many more parents than ever are unhappy with their (non selective) catchment school? I know in my area our catchment school is worse than ever which is the primary reason I entered my 2 DC for the 11+.
Secondary education was a huge worry for me, thank God it's all behind me now.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Regarding the increased amount of 'sitters' this year, maybe many more parents than ever are unhappy with their (non selective) catchment school?
Sadly, I think the answer is that every year there are more and more people who decide that their only goal in life is for their child to attend a school with the word "Grammar" in its name. Many of these people sit for every 11 plus exam in the home counties. You can probably rest assured that many of them will not take up the places as they have also sat QE, Kent, Essex grammars and Hertfordshire/North London grammars, not to mention Bucks, which they never had any hope of gaining a place at. Although there do seem to be a lot of people from Reading asking about Slough grammars.
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

scary mum wrote:
Regarding the increased amount of 'sitters' this year, maybe many more parents than ever are unhappy with their (non selective) catchment school?
Sadly, I think the answer is that every year there are more and more people who decide that their only goal in life is for their child to attend a school with the word "Grammar" in its name. Many of these people sit for every 11 plus exam in the home counties. You can probably rest assured that many of them will not take up the places as they have also sat QE, Kent, Essex grammars and Hertfordshire/North London grammars, not to mention Bucks, which they never had any hope of gaining a place at. Although there do seem to be a lot of people from Reading asking about Slough grammars.
I see a sensible solution here. In the same way New Labour saw academy status as the solution to all of education's problems, might I suggest a wholesale renaming of all secondary schools as grammar schools? Then everyone would be happy. After all, we've had grade inflation in GCSEs and A levels necessitating the creation of 1-9 grades and A*s, we are told that the proportion of universities awarding first class degrees is increasing, so why not apply a little marketing spin to school titles?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

scary mum wrote: I see a sensible solution here. In the same way New Labour saw academy status as the solution to all of education's problems, might I suggest a wholesale renaming of all secondary schools as grammar schools?
Now that's the best solution so far! ;-)
trimission

Post by trimission »

scary mum wrote:

...and potentially push the rank score requirement above 122.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now