Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:06 pm 

Hi All

I would again be grateful if anyone could tell me teh typical class sizes for both schools and if they have teaching assitants in each class.
As it is half term or if could someone could point me to a link.

Kind Regars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 pm 

pmootyen wrote:
Hi All

I would again be grateful if anyone could tell me teh typical class sizes for both schools and if they have teaching assitants in each class.
As it is half term or if could someone could point me to a link.

Kind Regars

It may be different in Slough, of course, but I have reason to find out about in-class support for various schools nearer to home and I can safely say that I have never yet come across a secondary school where there was a 'general' LSA allocated to a class (let alone all of them). LSA support tends to be very much targeted, or perhaps provided as part of the school's provision for an individual child based on their EHCP.

Secondary school is very different from primary in that respect. And schools just can't afford them, for one thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 pm 

Thanks thats what I thought , was just clarifying also as class sizes in schools range from 20 - 35 so was just wondering what these two schools averaged at.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 am 

I have no idea if this information is correct, but this is what I found by googling.
Mind you, my understanding is that it is quality of teaching which is important rather than class size. However, it is interesting given people often quote class sizes as their reason for going private.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 am 

scary mum wrote:
I have no idea if this information is correct, but this is what I found by googling

I'm fairly sure this information was from 2 years ago as it stats UCGS has a Progress 8 of 0.64, whereas last year it was 1.19 and this year 1.00 (Provisional)

I'll check with DD (Y10) and DS (Y7) how many are in their class when they get up.
I think there used to be 24/25 in DDs class as the year was spread over 6 classes but I believe they changed that last year to 5 classes of 30ish?

I'll get back to you later

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 am 

Hi

Perfect Thank you , relly appreciate it as just trying to compare schools on class size.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am 

DD said there are 23 in her form and there are 5 forms in Y10, she said that there were 6 forms last year but one teacher left so they split her pupils amongst the other forms.
She's not sure how many are in the other Y10 forms, but thinks they're all of a similar size.
She said for some reason her year has the least children, she has no idea why?

DS thinks there are 27 in his form and there are 6 forms in Y7

Both said there are no TAs in the school that they know of, certainly none in Y7 or Y10.

I'll get them both to ask their friends in other forms their sizes and report back if and when I get any info

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 am 

PS: DD said in Y9 there were only 21 in her form, that's smaller than a private school!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:31 am 

The form size may not be relevant anyway once they choose GCSEs and are taught according to their choices, or possibly streamed for maths.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm 

rhiane wrote:
PS: DD said in Y9 there were only 21 in her form, that's smaller than a private school!

Thank you so Much for the info helps a lot. May I ask if you have used or know of the SEN support there ?