Upton Court and St Bernards - Class Sizes and Support

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rhiane

Re: Upton Court and St Bernards - Class Sizes and Support

Post by rhiane »

scary mum wrote:The form size may not be relevant anyway once they choose GCSEs and are taught according to their choices, or possibly streamed for maths.

Very true, DD said there are 16 in her drama class and 30/31 in English
There are 5 maths sets DD thinks the largest is set 4 and the smallest set 5
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

I asked my year 9 DD who is at St Bernards (haven't asked her year 7 brother as yet) - most of the forms were around 30 DC, with hers having dropped down to 27 recently.

However as people have said, the kids are also streamed for some lessons (I think maths from part way through year 7) which changes the ratios.

As for LSA's - they tend to be kid specific. There is one in about 6 of her lessons a week but that is cos they are with one of the children, not the class. Otherwise it is just teacher and pupils.

When my DD was in year 7 some of the SEN department would sit in and monitor my DD to see how she was doing, however they haven't needed to do that recently. When she has a meltdown, I just email her form tutor so that she is aware.

I still like their pastoral care even if it feels less "hands on" then when either of my 2 were at primary school. They set to suggest regular communication when there is an issue.

Good luck
pmootyen

Post by pmootyen »

hel_tcw wrote:I asked my year 9 DD who is at St Bernards (haven't asked her year 7 brother as yet) - most of the forms were around 30 DC, with hers having dropped down to 27 recently.

However as people have said, the kids are also streamed for some lessons (I think maths from part way through year 7) which changes the ratios.

As for LSA's - they tend to be kid specific. There is one in about 6 of her lessons a week but that is cos they are with one of the children, not the class. Otherwise it is just teacher and pupils.

When my DD was in year 7 some of the SEN department would sit in and monitor my DD to see how she was doing, however they haven't needed to do that recently. When she has a meltdown, I just email her form tutor so that she is aware.

I still like their pastoral care even if it feels less "hands on" then when either of my 2 were at primary school. They set to suggest regular communication when there is an issue.

Thank you Yes my understanding was 27 - 28 in a class , Yes would be good to understand this for current Year settings the next intake is 165 so am assuming 27 - 28
Thank You for response.

Good luck
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Next intake for St Bernards is 150, not 165.

It is currently 4 forms of 30 ie 120 DC per year with it rising to 150 from next September (2019 intake)