Reading School to change admission policies for - Yr 7, YR12

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Reading School to change admission policies for - Yr 7,

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Krazypeople, this is a standard approach already in schools that are aiming to increase PP participation. Reading is behind them in doing it but kudos to them for finally biting the bullet. Generally these children come from families who are disadvantaged - and this is often right from birth - families where there is no spare cash for books in the house which encourage children to read and acquire vocabulary that helps with the 11+ test, for example. Or families where the nutrition isn't great. Or families where the parents may not have English as a first language and do not generally have a university education, for example. All things that mainly middle class families take for granted but gives them an unconscious leg up. Knowing that there is some allowance helps encourage those who thought they had "no chance" that they might have "a chance" - it is unlikely to massively increase the numbers of PP attending but if it increases those applying and slightly increases the numbers going then that is a very good thing in my opinion.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Krazypeople, this is a standard approach already in schools that are aiming to increase PP participation. Reading is behind them in doing it but kudos to them for finally biting the bullet. Generally these children come from families who are disadvantaged - and this is often right from birth - families where there is no spare cash for books in the house which encourage children to read and acquire vocabulary that helps with the 11+ test, for example. Or families where the nutrition isn't great. Or families where the parents may not have English as a first language and do not generally have a university education, for example. All things that mainly middle class families take for granted but gives them an unconscious leg up. Knowing that there is some allowance helps encourage those who thought they had "no chance" that they might have "a chance" - it is unlikely to massively increase the numbers of PP attending but if it increases those applying and slightly increases the numbers going then that is a very good thing in my opinion.
Reading and Kendrick have had a PP criteria for a few years, but with the same qualifying score as everyone else. Having a lower score is new and obviously because it wasn’t enough.
I’ll PM you
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Having read your pm, Tinkers, I applaud Reading even more for introducing this new criteria. Good on 'em!
Krazypeople

Post by Krazypeople »

Thank you for sharing your thought Tinkers and Kenyancowgirl.

That is right, Reading school have had a PP criteria for a few years but with the same qualifying score as everyone else.

Though having the same qualifying score, PP children already have 2-3 scores advantage because non PP children usually have to get 2-3 marks more than qualifying score to get the place. For PP children as long as they get the passmark they would get the place whereas non-PP children must have 110.45 to get the place for year 2018 intake. So for this case, I can accept that it is likely that PP child who get 108 is more academic (because likely to have less or no support) than a child from non advantage background (likely to have more support) who get 110.4.

Yes I agree in principle that those who comes from disadvantage family should get more help which I think the current admission criteria already given. But I can't help to feel for those kids who get 110.4 but will not get a place but his mate who gets 103 will get a place because he comes from disadvantage background. How to explain that to the child who gets 110 that you are less academic than your mate who gets 103? as the gap is so great? I don't have any data to support why should be 5 score lower than passmark is a good judgement but may be the school does.

There are family that really poor and they spend every penny to get by. However there are also those who claimed they are in “disadvantage” state needing all supports they can but holidays is essential, TV in the bedroom is a must yet eligible for free school meals.

There isn't perfect system to fit all. I guess I just have to accept and get on with it.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Tinkers wrote: It is worth noting that it isn’t just for PP, it’s also for LAC and SEN.
Could you point me to the SEN mention?
All I read was
After the admission of boys who have a statement of special educational needs or an Educational Health and Care Plan which names the school and who meet the academic standard
with academic standard being defined as the threshold I guess?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sorry, I didn’t go back and check properly. This is above all the other criteria, and (I think, but it’s been a long week) a bit ambiguous. Maybe it isn’t and I’m over thinking it. However you are right it doesn’t mention the 5 marks below like the other categories.
After the admission of boys who have a statement of special educational needs or an Educational Health and Care Plan which names the school and who meet the academic standard, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied if there are more applicants than places available. A cut-off point will be determined, below which students not be considered for admission to the school and not therefore ranked according to the over-subscription criteria below.
All applicants above the cut-off point will be ranked in the following order and within each category strictly by their performance in the test
There is no guarantee of a place being available, but places up to the Published Admissions Number will be allocated in the following order, where boys meet the necessary academic and eligibility entry requirements, assuming that an
offer from a higher preference has not been made.
danny11

Post by danny11 »

How to explain to an 11 years old boy that he needs at least 5 marks above the qualifying score to be allocated a place but his friend needs 5 marks below.
This can put off many boys...
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

danny11 wrote:How to explain to an 11 years old boy that he needs at least 5 marks above the qualifying score to be allocated a place but his friend needs 5 marks below.
Perhaps by asking that 11 year old boy whether he'd rather be in a family where the finances are such that he qualifies for a free school meal?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

streathammum wrote:
danny11 wrote:How to explain to an 11 years old boy that he needs at least 5 marks above the qualifying score to be allocated a place but his friend needs 5 marks below.
Perhaps by asking that 11 year old boy whether he'd rather be in a family where the finances are such that he qualifies for a free school meal?
+1
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+2
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now