Kendrick Expansion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BlueSmarties

Kendrick Expansion

Post by BlueSmarties »

Kendrick is amongst the 16 listed as being awarded a grant for expansion, with a focus of increasing the number of Pupil Premium kids: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46429040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Kendrick's website: https://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/new ... storyid=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In effect, it should become a 4 form entry at yr7, so an additional 32 girls. The next phase is a consultation on the admissions procedure apparently, I hope they make it easier for PP kids (as Reading School seems to be doing) and personally I would like to see the catchment made smaller - in the vain hope that it might increase parental engagement, something the school says it's sorely lacking :?
Tinkers

Re: Kendrick Expansion

Post by Tinkers »

I’d certainly expect Kendrick to follow Reading when it comes to PP .

I believe in the original consultation they mentioned that most of the additional places would be for girls in the local area. The definition of that was tbd. But I should think it will be RBC and some areas just over the border. (For instance RG6 1 covers both sides of the RBC/WBC border, so I’m not sure they could split that).

I don’t know about your DDs year but in DDs year, about 2/3 of the girls are actually quite local, being either RBC or just over the border.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

The big challenge is going to be the outreach programme. They won't be able to increase PP numbers if PP girls don't even apply - the numbers that do at the moment are very, very tiny. Hopefully there will be lots of publicity on a change in the entry requirements - once they are approved
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

From the school newsletter.
This means that 32 more students, predominately from the Reading area, will be coming to Kendrick in September 2020 and thereafter there will be an increase of 32 students, year on year, until 2024. To accommodate the enlarged student population we have been given a capital sum of money, just over £2million, to build a three storey block containing six classroom and a dining space. There will also be some other adjustments to parts of our existing buildings. The other and very important element and remit of the application is the Fair Access and Partnership Plan, known as the FAPP, which details how we plan to work with local schools to support pupil premium and disadvantaged students to have a fairer chance of applying to Kendrick. Working with Reading Local Authority, we have already identified a number of schools in the Reading area who would like us to work with them. We hope that this work will support all students in schools and help raise aspirations and ambition in education. Some of our own students who I have spoken to are very excited by this development and we are looking forward to engaging many of our staff and our students in this outreach work. I believe this is momentous time for Kendrick which will enable the school to become even more rooted in its local community and share its expertise more widely. We have exciting times ahead to look forward to.