Tution - weekly tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Parent2019

Tution - weekly tests

Post by Parent2019 »

My child goes to tution. He started in year 5 - sept 2018.
One parent said to me if child doesn’t get 80% in their weekly test then very less chance that child will pass 11 plus.

I want to know how many of you experience this? This worrying me.
scary mum

Re: AE Tution - weekly tests

Post by scary mum »

I think you are worrying a little prematurely, the test isn't for another 9 months. I wouldn't listen to what other parents say, there is always a lot of nonsense talked about the 11 plus at the school gates. There is plenty of time for improvement between now & next September.
Try not to pass on your anxiety to your son as well (easier said than done, I know).
scary mum
Parent2019

Post by Parent2019 »

Thank you so much for your reply
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students progress in different ways.

Some make steady progress, others struggle for a while and then really get it and make sudden marked progress overtaking the steady ones.

Some start late in Y5 and really focus and overtake those who started in Y4.

The important thing is for you to be checking his progress and understanding at home.

Go over the words, get him to make a sentence out of him, do spelling tests with .

You are with him for so many more hours than he is in class, you are a far better judge of his progress. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I certainly wouldn’t worry about what another parent has said.

Talk to the tutor if you have concerns as they (as long as they are doing their job properly and are a reputable tutor) should be able to give you an honest answer.
Parent2019

Post by Parent2019 »

Thanks a lot for all replies.
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

Oh parents do say all sorts of things!

My DS had a very fluctuating graph wrt to weekly tests, scored in range of 80s, then 90s, then 60s, sometimes 50s too... but this def doesn't reflect how well he preformed in Slough tests. My tip would be to go through weekly mistakes if not every week then at least every month. That will help you identify the weak areas and work more on those. Weekly tests (esp maths) are no way actual exam like questions, think they are designed to identify weak areas only.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now