Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2015_11_plus

Re: SLOUGH ALLOCATIONS 2019

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Tinkers wrote:
2015_11_plus wrote:
mad? wrote:I would contact Surrey 1st, but also give the school a call. It does sound odd. Do not worry about an appeal, yet.
Thanks - does make for a worrying weekend though and also have to comfort DS for now and assure him this will work out ok after all the hard work he put in for his 11+.

By the way, we have declined the allocated place - was that the right thing to do?
No, you should always accept the place offered, as they are now under no obligation to offer you another place. Hopefully it’s an error and you will get one of the six.
Oops ... but given he did not get a place in the ones we listed, the normal process is that he should be on the waiting list for them right? And as a last resort we can still appeal?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes you will be on the WL and yes you can appeal, but if you didn’t get a place from the WL and were not successful at any of your appeals, your LA is not obliged to offer you another place.

In my LA actually now state this.
We would encourage you to accept the placeOpens new window you have been offered, even if it is not your preferred school - accepting the place will not affect your position on a waiting list or your chances of winning an appeal (see below). If you decline the place, we will only withdraw the place if you have an offer of a place at an alternative school as we have a duty to ensure that all children have a school place.
If Surrey do much the same, they won’t have actually withdrawn your place unless you’ve told them the alternative offer you have. This is new for Reading, and I’ve never seen it before and have no idea if other LAs are following suit. It might be worth checking.
MightyMum

Post by MightyMum »

Offered St Bernard's - catholic family, score or 127 and about 4 miles away.
11plusmaze

Post by 11plusmaze »

Anyone got an email from Upton Court about min score that qualified for entry ?
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

Looks like upton’s cut off has gone over 120 this year
My child didnt get 1st choice of upton, we are 10 miles away.

Surprisingly herschel and langley grammars have stayed stable despite herschel changing their policy. How can this be?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

2015_11_plus wrote:Needing help as totally confused. Our DS scored 124 and are in priority area 2 for Langley - the result is that they could not find him a place in ANY of the 6 schools we listed and instead gave him a place at a local school. We think this is an error as our other 2 older DS both got admission previously. Any advice?
With a score of 124 and in Priority area 2 I'm surprised you didn't get Langley, equally surprised you didn't get Upton either!
Magna seems to quite a popular school these days so could well be oversubscribed, unless you are in or around Staines you probably didn't stand much of a chance?

Something doesn't sound right!
Hope you get it sorted
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Gee9876 wrote:Looks like upton’s cut off has gone over 120 this year

Surprisingly herschel and langley grammars have stayed stable despite herschel changing their policy. How can this be?
Possible that Upton is oversubscribed more this year due to being top in the GCSE results tables?
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

rhiane wrote:
2015_11_plus wrote:Needing help as totally confused. Our DS scored 124 and are in priority area 2 for Langley - the result is that they could not find him a place in ANY of the 6 schools we listed and instead gave him a place at a local school. We think this is an error as our other 2 older DS both got admission previously. Any advice?
With a score of 124 and in Priority area 2 I'm surprised you didn't get Langley, equally surprised you didn't get Upton either!
Magna seems to quite a popular school these days so could well be oversubscribed, unless you are in or around Staines you probably didn't stand much of a chance?

Something doesn't sound right!
Hope you get it sorted
Thanks - that's exactly what has puzzled us as well. Has anyone experienced something like this where it feels like an error has been made? What was the resolution in that case?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

2015_11_plus wrote:

Possible that Upton is oversubscribed more this year due to being top in the GCSE results tables?
It could be a number of factors. Herschel have changed their admissions to give priority to more local children so some may not have bothered trying and gone for Upton Court instead. The pressure on school places is also higher this year in general. It’s likley to be a combination I think.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

2015_11_plus wrote:

Upton offer up to 120 places on rank score (minus any children offered on lower criteria, of which I would estimate 25ish?)
124 is a good score and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't included in the 95ish rank score places that are left!

It was actually the Progress 8 score of 121 that got Upton into the top 10 of the league tables (top mixed Grammar school nationally), but this was 2017 GCSEs, in the 2018 league tables they have dropped as their Progress 8 dropped to 0.99 (Still excellent though)

Really hope you get this sorted out as something has to be wrong!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now