Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 am
Posts: 3
Hi,

We are in the waiting list of Reading school, with some realistic chances of getting a place - looking at last few year's waiting list movement, our position in the list and some of the expert advice on this forum. We have been offered a place at one of the Slough grammar schools, as it was our second choice at the time of making the application.

We also have an offer from a private school and though it will be a real financial stretch, due to some life changes in past few months, we would prefer sending our DS to this private school to sending him to the Slough school.

We would like to decline the Slough offer in order to make space for another child, but not sure if that will affect our waiting list status in Reading (as that is still the first choice).

Has anyone else been in this position before? We just want to be 100% sure that declining the Slough offer and Reading's waiting list are mutually exclusive. Have tried to dig out information but without any luck so far in getting clear information, so any help is truly appreciated.


Last edited by mumsied on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm
Posts: 6836
Location: Reading
It’s possibly best not to reject the Slough school yet, until you are absolutely sure you will go private if Reading school isn’t offered. Once you reject the school the LA are not obliged to offer another, though if you come under RBC, they won’t withdraw the place anyway until you confirm where your DS is actually going.

However I’m sure many parents will appreciate your thought of freeing up the Slough place for someone else. :D so thank you on their behalf. Some parents wouldn’t.

Rejecting or accepting the place won’t affect your place on the WL for Reading.

Where are you on the WL?(you can PM if you don’t want to say publicly) I’d expect it to move about roughly 4/6 places, but wouldn’t expect much more. If you are much further down the WL then, being realistic, it’s unlikely you will get a place at Reading.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:03 pm
Posts: 457
mumsied wrote:
Hi,

We are in the waiting list of Reading school, with some realistic chances of getting a place - looking at last few year's waiting list movement, our position in the list and some of the expert advice on this forum. We have been offered a place at one of the Slough grammar schools, as it was our second choice at the time of making the application.

We also have an offer from a private school in Reading and though it will be a real financial stretch, due to some life changes in past few months, we would prefer sending our DS to this private school to sending him to the Slough school.

We would like to decline the Slough offer in order to make space for another child, but not sure if that will affect our waiting list status in Reading (as that is still the first choice).

Has anyone else been in this position before? We just want to be 100% sure that declining the Slough offer and Reading's waiting list are mutually exclusive. Have tried to dig out information but without any luck so far in getting clear information, so any help is truly appreciated.


If you don't mind me asking, would you share your DSs Slough score and which school he was allocated, it would help other parents whose DC haven't been allocated their expected school.

Also, we declined my DDs Grammar School allocation in favour of an independent school, she was there for Y7 and 1 term of Y8 and wasn't happy so we made the (very hard) decision to move her in Y8 to a Slough Grammar and she loves it there, far happier. Best move ever! Travel wasn't any issue as both schools are 15 mins in opposite directions, which you may have to weigh up in your case, Slough is quite a trek from Reading, especially with the M4 upgrading over the next few years.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 am
Posts: 3
Thanks for your guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021