Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gosh_saveme

Re: Spelthorne no offers CAF Application

Post by gosh_saveme »

2015_11_plus wrote:
gosh_saveme wrote:
rukmesh wrote:I tried contacting Upton Court in the morning and left a message. I got a call from them a few minutes back and they have confirmed that they did not receive our application. It is a big mess and if they do not resolve it, I am thinking of approaching the court. Someone has to accept the responsibility
I contacted Upton court and they told me that they had allocated a place for my DS and confirmed that there was an error and wasn't why surrey didn't allocate the place. They were going to follow it up with the surrey council. Pray that this mess gets sorted out quickly... anxiety at its peak.
Does that mean they received your CAF? Or have they allocated based on information they can access via the Slough Consortium data for 11+ results?
They HAVEN't recvd my CAF... but didn't know why the place wasn't allocated by surrey. They looked up on the system for the details of my DS and confirmed that she would have been offered a place if they had recvd her CAF. So.... LAs have goofed up! I also called slough council and they said that they haven't recvd any information about CAF for my DS from Surrey. So it sounds like the onus is on Surrey!
Last edited by gosh_saveme on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rukmesh

Post by rukmesh »

We live in Spelthorne council and Upton Court confirmed that they had not received our application. The lady also told me that they had offerred places to DC scoring 121. It is a big mess somewhere and someone has to take the responsibility
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2015_11_plus wrote:
rukmesh wrote:I tried contacting Upton Court in the morning and left a message. I got a call from them a few minutes back and they have confirmed that they did not receive our application. It is a big mess and if they do not resolve it, I am thinking of approaching the court. Someone has to accept the respponsibility
Same here - Upton also confirmed that they did not receive the application. Given that all of us affected are from one LA this points to being Surrey county's fault?
Not necessarily - the Coordinated Admissions Scheme means that the maintaining LA for the schools concerned is also involved. Surrey sends its Slough requests to Slough, which then collates the responses and returns them Surrey. So there is a possibility that Slough managed not to include some requests for some schools.

This is from the Surrey Coordinated Admisdions Scheme 2019:

10.Surrey County Council participates in the Pan London Coordinated Admission Scheme. Surrey’s admissions and transport team will upload application data relating to preferences for schools in other participating local authorities, which have been
expressed within the terms of Surrey’s scheme, to the Pan London Register by 13November 2018. Alternative arrangements will be made to forward applications and supporting information to non-participating local authorities.

Eta since the problem seems to affect more than one home (i.e. applicant) LA, it would seem more likely that the problem may lie eith Slough as the schools' maintaining LA.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

ToadMum wrote:
2015_11_plus wrote:
rukmesh wrote:I tried contacting Upton Court in the morning and left a message. I got a call from them a few minutes back and they have confirmed that they did not receive our application. It is a big mess and if they do not resolve it, I am thinking of approaching the court. Someone has to accept the respponsibility
Same here - Upton also confirmed that they did not receive the application. Given that all of us affected are from one LA this points to being Surrey county's fault?
Not necessarily - the Coordinated Admissions Scheme means that the maintaining LA for the schools concerned is also involved. Surrey sends its Slough requests to Slough, which then collates the responses and returns them Surrey. So there is a possibility that Slough managed not to include some requests for some schools.

10.Surrey County Council participates in the Pan London Coordinated Admission Scheme. Surrey’s admissions and transport team will upload application data relating to preferences for schools in other participating local authorities, which have been
expressed within the terms of Surrey’s scheme, to the Pan London Register by 13November 2018. Alternative arrangements will be made to forward applications and supporting information to non-participating local authorities.

Eta since the problem seems to affect more than one home (i.e. applicant) LA, it would seem more likely that the problem may lie eith Slough as the schools' maintaining LA.
Thanks for that extra detail - can I clarify that the process is roughly ... applicant LA -> school LA -> school -> school LA -> applicant LA? If yes, then there are multiple places the link could have broken :( And I am confused as to who needs to do what - at the moment it's feeling like pillar to post and not getting much in the way of answers especially from the LAs.
rukmesh

Post by rukmesh »

ToadMum wrote:
2015_11_plus wrote:

I agree.. but someone has to take the responsibility for our application not reaching. Either Slough Council or Surrey or the school. This system seems so unfair on children who have scored so high and still dont get through because of "administrative" or "technical" error. Really unfair
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Just also spoke to Slough council and they confirmed that our child's details are NOT on their system therefore this lands squarely on Surrey council. We have spoken again to Surrey council and were now told that it is actively being investigated and will let us know when they know more. They also mentioned that as it is a Surrey child they have responsibility to ensure that the application was handled correctly so keeping our fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

2015_11_plus wrote:Just also spoke to Slough council and they confirmed that our child's details are NOT on their system therefore this lands squarely on Surrey council. We have spoken again to Surrey council and were now told that it is actively being investigated and will let us know when they know more. They also mentioned that as it is a Surrey child they have responsibility to ensure that the application was handled correctly so keeping our fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.
they certainly do have a responsibility! The problem with this is that it may be similar to what happened in Warwickshire last year where there was an error, children had not been given places who should have had and some children had places removed and they were then put on the waiting list / had to appeal - the Cutoff (AQS) went up at that point. Awful for everyone - those who did not have the place and those who had it taken away from them
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

hermanmunster wrote:
2015_11_plus wrote:Just also spoke to Slough council and they confirmed that our child's details are NOT on their system therefore this lands squarely on Surrey council. We have spoken again to Surrey council and were now told that it is actively being investigated and will let us know when they know more. They also mentioned that as it is a Surrey child they have responsibility to ensure that the application was handled correctly so keeping our fingers crossed this will be resolved soon.
they certainly do have a responsibility! The problem with this is that it may be similar to what happened in Warwickshire last year where there was an error, children had not been given places who should have had and some children had places removed and they were then put on the waiting list / had to appeal - the Cutoff (AQS) went up at that point. Awful for everyone - those who did not have the place and those who had it taken away from them
Agree this is awful for everyone. But the right decision should be made based on the published criteria.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

rukmesh wrote:We live in Spelthorne council and Upton Court confirmed that they had not received our application. The lady also told me that they had offerred places to DC scoring 121. It is a big mess somewhere and someone has to take the responsibility

Rukmesh- have you contacted tiffin and nonsuch?
Perhaps your DD has been allocated a place there?
rukmesh

Post by rukmesh »

We are in the waiting list for TGS
Waiting for NonSuch email
Upton Court - Mystery
Wallington - Accepted the offer
Langley - N/A
Herschel - N/A