ShaneDay

Surrey no offers CAF Application

Post by ShaneDay »

I will start the ball rolling

1. Surrey Count Council
2. 124
3. Staines
4. No places offered on CAF
Last edited by ShaneDay on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
gosh_saveme

Re: Surrey (Spelthorne) no offers CAF Application

Post by gosh_saveme »

1. Surrey County Council
2. 128
3. Egham
4. Local school offered (Magna Carta) , was on CAF as last option.
Last edited by gosh_saveme on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

ShaneDay wrote:Our DD scored 124 and wasn't offered any places on our CAF form.

All 6 choices made were grammar schools - 4 of which were from Berkshire - The school we were offered was not even on our preference.

Our postcode is a Staines postcode and reading some posts here it seems that we are not alone. Something has happened with the Surrey application process.

Please post here if you are in a similar boat posting below

1. Confirm your Application authority: Surrey County Council
2. Score
3. your location or area
4. any grammar offers from CAF

I will start the ball rolling

1. Surrey Count Council
2. 124
3. Staines
I am now convinced there is a problem with Surrey CAFs!
All 4-5 from Surrey that I have read about should have been offered one of the Slough Grammars, especially Upton who offer in Rank Order before distance!

Best of luck, i'm sure things will work out for you all
gosh_saveme

Post by gosh_saveme »

Hi rhiane

Can you please explain your thoughts here... so we can understand clearly?

Thanks
Last edited by gosh_saveme on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

For anyone reading this in future years, the advice we offer is to ALWAYS put a school local to you that you are certain of getting and are reasonably happy with. The local authority will assign you any school that has spaces if you do not qualify for any on the list and it might be one you don't want. Having said that, I understand that in this case there may have been some errors. I would call the schools and local authority on Monday morning.
scary mum
2015_11_plus

Post by 2015_11_plus »

Exactly same as OP:

1. Surrey County Council
2. 124
3. Staines
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

gosh_saveme wrote:Hi rhiane

Can you please explain your thoughts here... so we can understand clearly?

Thanks Sonal
Upton Court offer up to 120 places in Rank Order (Highest Scores) after that the remaining places are filled by distance.

Normally the lowest score offered is around 116 or under, this was expected to rise a bit this year due to various factors such as Herschels new distance criteria and Upton being high up in the school league tables in 2017 (Top mixed grammar nationally with a progress 8 of 121, although this has dropped to 0.99 for 2018)

If you have a look at previous years allocations, compiled by Tinkers you will see what I mean
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =10&t=9313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even with the factors mentioned it would be very surprising if the cut off for rank score is higher than 120-122ish, also some Surrey parents have applied to Langley with scores of 124+ yet parents from other LAs have been offered Langley with lower scores even though they are in the same Priority area!
With a score of 128 and putting Upton 1st on their CAF and not getting it is very very hard to believe! (I believe the highest Slough score this year was 139?)
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

This was posted on another thread
"The email from Langley states 'the initial offer of places has been made to all eligible candidates in the Priority Area 1 and those in Priority Area 2 achieving an average score of 115 and above, and to those scoring 114 and living closest to the school"

TW18, TW19, TW20 are all in Priority Area 2, this covers Staines, Egham and Wraysbury, when a DC in priority area 2 with a score of 115 is offered a place yet someone with 124 also in priority area 2 isn't offered, both putting Langley as #1 (and it is rank order within that area) it's pretty clear that something is wrong
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

With several of you now posting allocations that seem wildly wrong, it really does seem like there’s an error in inter LA data transfer.

Hopefully you will all get it sorted out this week.
rukmesh

Re: Spelthorne no offers CAF Application

Post by rukmesh »

We live near Sunbury (TW15) and our DD had got 125 and we had put Upton Court as number 3 on our CAF and didnt get any offer from them.
We are really frustrated with the system. The child has worked so hard for 2 years only to be frustrated by the system. Hope it gets sorted soon