Langley Grammar to Ickenham - Transportation - 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusmaze

Langley Grammar to Ickenham - Transportation - 2019

Post by 11plusmaze »

Creating this thread for Ickenham to Langley Grammar - School Transportation.
I live near Ickenham and my DS will be going to Langley Grammar from Sept 2019. Any suggestions on transportation arrangements ?
ToadMum

Re: Langley Grammar to Ickenham - Transportation - 2019

Post by ToadMum »

11plusmaze wrote:Creating this thread for Ickenham to Langley Grammar - School Transportation.
I live near Ickenham and my DS will be going to Langley Grammar from Sept 2019. Any suggestions on transportation arrangements ?
Please don't take this badly, but isn't that something you should have considered before applying for a place?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or, to put it another way, when you decided to apply to the school, what ideas for school transportation arrangements did you have/had you researched? As, of course, you wouldn't have just applied without working out how you would get there, would you?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

This happens every single March!

“How do I get from -insert random place off all sensible transport routes- to -insert grammar school - “

Your options:

1) Drive. Every day for 5-7 years. Twice daily. LIsten to a LOT of audiobooks and don’t try to work unless you can get a job in the grammar school.

2) club together with another parent also doing the same commute, then you only have to drive once daily. And hope neither child leaves the school, is ever sick, or has any desire to do afterschool clubs unless their “buddy” does the same.

3) find a minibus service or public bus/train route that covers at least part of the distance.

4) move near to the school. Obviously this disrupts anyone else in the family who has ties to ickenham, and if you have younger children their continuity of schooling may suffer when you move into area and are allocated a place in a non-full (may be lower ranking) school because they have in-year spaces.

5) decide a nearer school is easier than all of the above. Your child may even like it and will still probably do well. My DD’s friend had his best friend pull out of a Slough GS two terms in as the 80 minute commute was just too much for him. By then he had settled in, made friends, and knew what he was giving up, but the distance was hust no fun.

Uxbridge has a number 3 bus that is a long stopping route but does go to the a4. There’s also the number 81 from hounslow goes all the way up the a4 to slough and takes Oyster cards.
11plusmaze

Post by 11plusmaze »

Aethel wrote:This happens every single March!

“How do I get from -insert random place off all sensible transport routes- to -insert grammar school - “

Your options:

1) Drive. Every day for 5-7 years. Twice daily. LIsten to a LOT of audiobooks and don’t try to work unless you can get a job in the grammar school.

2) club together with another parent also doing the same commute, then you only have to drive once daily. And hope neither child leaves the school, is ever sick, or has any desire to do afterschool clubs unless their “buddy” does the same.

3) find a minibus service or public bus/train route that covers at least part of the distance.

4) move near to the school. Obviously this disrupts anyone else in the family who has ties to ickenham, and if you have younger children their continuity of schooling may suffer when you move into area and are allocated a place in a non-full (may be lower ranking) school because they have in-year spaces.

5) decide a nearer school is easier than all of the above. Your child may even like it and will still probably do well. My DD’s friend had his best friend pull out of a Slough GS two terms in as the 80 minute commute was just too much for him. By then he had settled in, made friends, and knew what he was giving up, but the distance was hust no fun.

Uxbridge has a number 3 bus that is a long stopping route but does go to the a4. There’s also the number 81 from hounslow goes all the way up the a4 to slough and takes Oyster cards.
Thanks a lot for the info. Useful stuff.
11plusmaze

Post by 11plusmaze »

Apologies If I was not clear in the original post. I am aware of various options available. I wanted to hear from parents who are in similar area , school on the most effective mode of school pick up and drop off in terms travel time / safety / cost etc.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

11plusmaze wrote:Apologies If I was not clear in the original post. I am aware of various options available. I wanted to hear from parents who are in similar area , school on the most effective mode of school pick up and drop off in terms travel time / safety / cost etc.
Ah. Possibly the Any suggestions on transportation arrangements ? caused the confusion.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now