The Holt Schoo wokingham vs Herschel Grammar school slough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FAM79

The Holt Schoo wokingham vs Herschel Grammar school slough

Post by FAM79 »

Hi All,

My DD is on the waiting list for Herschel Grammar school, but the same she got admission in Holt school Wokingham, i was thinking shall I stick with Holt or if get offer for herschel i should simply avail it.
keeping in view I live 18 miles away from Herschel and 4-5 miles from Holt.

if someone is experiencing Holt please share your thought as well.

regards
FAM
Tinkers

Re: The Holt Schoo wokingham vs Herschel Grammar school slou

Post by Tinkers »

I don’t know Holt that well personally, but I do know a number of parents who chose it over Kendrick. I guess that says a fair bit. It has a very good local reputation and iirc, the best GCSE and A level results of all the Wokingham state schools (which are good overall in general anyway).

I’ve visited a few times and met girls from there at work events. I’ve always been impressed with their behaviour and maturity.

Given the distance your Dd would need to travel to Slough compared to Holt, and the fact she could take a much more active part of school live of she lived close to her school, I think Holt would be an excellent option. She would also have more time to do stuff outself of school (HW, other activities etc).
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

FAM79 wrote:Hi All,

My DD is on the waiting list for Herschel Grammar school, but the same she got admission in Holt school Wokingham, i was thinking shall I stick with Holt or if get offer for herschel i should simply avail it.
keeping in view I live 18 miles away from Herschel and 4-5 miles from Holt.

if someone is experiencing Holt please share your thought as well.

regards
FAM
I have a niece who lives in the catchment area of the school and who is planning to send all her children to the school.In discussions she has waxed lyrical about the school.She has no intention of going down the grammar route for her girls.She is an ex PE teacher yet to return to teaching.

I must admit I have read good things about the Holt when I was researching secondary schooling for my sisters grandaughter in the area.I have been on Herschels website before know nothing of the school but I am not sure I would travel to it from the area around Holt.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD also considered Holt when we were looking at back up sixth forms. However I don’t think they take many extras at sixth form (I think 10 plus any to make up numbers of those leaving), so in the end she didn’t bother applying. We are probably too far to have got a place.

I now remember someone at work whose DD went there. They couldn’t quite fit in her A level options, so she did one at the nearby Emmbrook. So if in future your DD wants to do A levels at Holt and they don’t quite fit, she may also have that option.

From memory I thought you were very close to ME.
nk2178

Post by nk2178 »

Please need help, I live in lower Earley RG6 3 , is there any chance I can get holt school for my daughter?
Looking at 2018 statistics the schools last allotment was upto 4.9 km away.
Does anyone know the 2019 stats?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

nk2178 wrote:Please need help, I live in lower Earley RG6 3 , is there any chance I can get holt school for my daughter?
Looking at 2018 statistics the schools last allotment was upto 4.9 km away.
Does anyone know the 2019 stats?
I don’t think LE is in Holt catchment. The Holt is usually oversubscribed from within catchment (and it’s a big catchment).

I do have allocation figures but will need to have a look..
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Found them.
Holt went down to category G and allocated 23 places under that category. A further 51 in Category G did not get places on allocations day (but I suspect there was some WL movement) Cat G allocated to 3.196 miles.
Cat G is for those with a preference for single sex education. H is for any others.

https://www.holtschool.co.uk/wp-content ... 020-21.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:Found them.
Holt went down to category G and allocated 23 places under that category. A further 51 in Category G did not get places on allocations day (but I suspect there was some WL movement) Cat G allocated to 3.196 miles.
Cat G is for those with a preference for single sex education. H is for any others.

https://www.holtschool.co.uk/wp-content ... 020-21.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silly question, but if you really want this school for attributes other than its lack of members of the opposite sex to sit next to in lessons, surely, if you really didn't qualify for a higher category, you would claim that your little darling cannot possibly go to a <shudder> mixed school, rather than be in the bottom category? Do they really ask for some kind of proof?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It’s a question on the Wokingham LA CAF (not sure about other LAs) as to why you are picking the school. If you tick the right box, it puts you in a higher category than not ticking.
There are two single sex schools in Wokingham (one for each, both non selective) and I think both have this as a category.

I’ve never looked closely at it tbh. Just aware of its existence. Holt was never a School we considered ourselves as we knew we didn’t really have a shot at it.
nk2178

Post by nk2178 »

thanks tinker