supporting evidence

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

uczncse

supporting evidence

Post by uczncse »

In the last step of the CAF form it asks for Supporting Evidence, and I am a bit confused. We do not have any special circumstances or requests needing evidence, so my first inclination was to skip that section, but then I thought perhaps that section is where you upload our Council Tax form, rental agreement, letter from school etc. to evidence that we live at address we say we live and that DS attends the school we say he attends.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's our first time applying for secondary school, and do not want to make silly mistakes when submitting.
ToadMum

Re: supporting evidence

Post by ToadMum »

uczncse wrote:In the last step of the CAF form it asks for Supporting Evidence, and I am a bit confused. We do not have any special circumstances or requests needing evidence, so my first inclination was to skip that section, but then I thought perhaps that section is where you upload our Council Tax form, rental agreement, letter from school etc. to evidence that we live at address we say we live and that DS attends the school we say he attends.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's our first time applying for secondary school, and do not want to make silly mistakes when submitting.
What is required here really should be explained in the guidance notes on the website. If any of the schools on the area have a 'medical / social need' category under which one can apply, I would expect this to be the place to include the confirmation from the relevant professional that that school was the only one which could meet the DC's needs, which will only be relevant to some people. But equally, it could mean your address evidence, which would apply to all. Not all LAs ask for this, but check up on random applicants at a later stage, others ask for at least one 'POA' upfront, so to speak.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
uczncse

Post by uczncse »

Thanks for the reply - it looks like this step is where we upload proof of address documents. Looking at Reading Council and Wokingham Council websites they list items such as council tax form, child benefit letter, GP letter, letter from the school. I've scanned the council tax form and a letter from DS's primary school, but we don't seem to have anything from the GP. No child benefit document either. I phoned the GP for a letter, they're asking £25 for it. We have a letter from Specsavers for an eye test reminder, not sure if this counts or if we should pay for the GP letter.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Which authority are you applying through?
scary mum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Do you have online access to your surgery records? The relevant data may be available to print out.
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... -services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uczncse

Post by uczncse »

scary mum wrote:Which authority are you applying through?
We live in Wokingham but will put Reading School in CAF as well - I've checked out Reading Boys', Wokingham Council's and Reading Council's admission documents. Council tax form, GP letter, Child Benefit letter and school letter are all mentioned as evidence for proof of address. In a few places, they say things like it's the applicant's responsibility to prove where they live and if the council deems there's insufficient evidence then they may refuse to allocate the school, which is a bit alarming. This is our first time applying for secondary school + DS did OK with Reading test and we're hopeful of a place, so don't want to risk it; hence our over-cautious approach.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

So you apply to all the schools through Wokingham, so don't worry about what the other authorities ask for at the moment. It should say what documents they require, but I presume the reason you are asking is because it doesn't!
I had a quick look and on this page there is a downloadable document about moving up to secondary school. Again, I magine you have seen this. All I could find was
Reference to council tax records will be made to determine a single address for consideration of a place
under criteria C or D. It is for the applicant to satisfy the local authority that they live at the address stated.
It makes it sound as thought they will look at the council tax records themselves. If it isn't clear when you complete the form on line I would call them. It gives the contact details in the guide:
Should you require assistance in accessing this service, please contact the School Admissions Team on
(0118) 974 6000 or email: schooladmissions@wokingham.gov.uk.
scary mum
uczncse

Post by uczncse »

scary mum wrote:It should say what documents they require, but I presume the reason you are asking is because it doesn't!
Yep, that's the language in all of those documents: they are quite vague in specifying what's exactly needed and at the same time say things like it's your responsibility to satisfy us that you and your DC live at that address. You pick up some details while reading on (i.e. mention of doctor's letter, council tax document etc.) but these are not listed as required documents.