Buses from Earley to Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mgm3

Buses from Earley to Kendrick

Post by mgm3 »

hi ,
can anyone share their feedback/experience about 19 and X4 bus service from Earley ( near to Earley station) to Kendrick school please
Tinkers

Re: Buses from Earley to Kendrick

Post by Tinkers »

From what I’ve heard locally, the 19 is quite unreliable and doesn’t run as often, which is a shame as I think it would be better for my DD. The timings were just all wrong for DD when we first looked.

The 4/x4 seems to be much better. My DD uses the 17 (to the Three Tuns), so sometimes gets the 4/x4 instead. She does say it can be busier than the 17, so she prefers the 17, but of course that doesn’t go far enough for your DD. If your DD is prepared to walk a bit the 17 is an option over waiting for the next 4. DD has been using the 17 for nearly 6 years now and rarely has issues.

In your case the train might serve as a good back up, but having never used the train from Earley to Reading myself, I have no idea how the cost compares.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Many thanks Tinkers.
I believe 21 is a better service from what I heard ?
I've to check for nearest 17 stop then . You are right, might be Earley station could be a back up.

Thanks,
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It might be worth getting the Reading buses app, so you can see how the buses move in real time for a few days.

Nearest 17 bus stop is the three Tuns (near the fire station). The 21 is supposed to be better (but does have issues with getting very full), but if you are near the train station I’m not sure where you’d catch it from. The main issue will actually be crossing the three Tuns as there’s no safe time to cross between Parker’s and the Coop. (Something I’ve complained to RBC and WBC about numerous times.)

The 4 should be fine though.

You’ll find that within weeks your DD will get quite blasé about bus routes etc, and in all likelihood will give you chapter and verse (possibly in a sarcastic tone) about the relative merits of various bus and train routes to school etc. At least mine did.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Thanks again Tinkers.
for 21 seems she has walk about 15 min to marefield stop.
But just thinking it as another back up in case others go wrong.
And yes you are right, train is always there as back up.
I believe she would give similar feedback as well about the transportation:)
By the way is that anyway affecting the after school clubs or activities for your DD.
And do you know usual start and leaving timings in Kendrick..
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The 17 runs very frequently so any after school clubs or activities etc aren’t a problem. (There will be also school events, Open evenings etc, later in GCSE years there are revision classes on offer too)

The 4 doesn’t run quite so often, but still reasonably frequent.

School times are here. Registration at 8:25 so they need to be in their form rooms before. School finishes at 15:15

https://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/pag ... Day&pid=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

School opens up earlier (I forget the times) so girls can go onto the canteen and their own form rooms.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Thank you Tinkers. Just downloaded the bus app.
It looks good.
panthus_41

Post by panthus_41 »

Which is the nearest stop to Kendrick if DD takes X4 / 4 bus ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD gets off at Eldon road but Jackson’s is about the same.
panthus_41

Post by panthus_41 »

Thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now