Herschel Grammar - Distance beats score within 4 miles???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

simon212

Herschel Grammar - Distance beats score within 4 miles???

Post by simon212 »

Hi all, we're considering Slough grammar schools for our eldest. She'll start Y7 in 2021. We live within 4 miles.

Looking at the current admissions policy for Herschel, I see the following (edited highlights!):

A standardised score of 111 or above in the entrance examination means that an applicant is eligible for consideration for admission to the School.
Where the number of eligible pupils reaching the required standard in the 11+ entrance examination exceeds the number of places available, places will be allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria in this order of priority:
(i) Looked after Children
(ii) Pupils living within the school catchment area .... within 4 miles .... with those closer to the school receiving the higher priority
(iii) ...10 places ... Pupil Premium
(iv) Children of permanent members of the school staff
(v) The remaining places.... in rank order

So, do I understand, that distance beats score in group ii?
So if my child scores 111 and lives 2 miles away, they have a higher priority in that group than someone who scores 120 3 miles away?

Thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: Herschel Grammar - Distance beats score within 4 miles??

Post by ToadMum »

simon212 wrote:Hi all, we're considering Slough grammar schools for our eldest. She'll start Y7 in 2021. We live within 4 miles.

Looking at the current admissions policy for Herschel, I see the following (edited highlights!):

A standardised score of 111 or above in the entrance examination means that an applicant is eligible for consideration for admission to the School.
Where the number of eligible pupils reaching the required standard in the 11+ entrance examination exceeds the number of places available, places will be allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria in this order of priority:
(i) Looked after Children
(ii) Pupils living within the school catchment area .... within 4 miles .... with those closer to the school receiving the higher priority
(iii) ...10 places ... Pupil Premium
(iv) Children of permanent members of the school staff
(v) The remaining places.... in rank order

So, do I understand, that distance beats score in group ii?
So if my child scores 111 and lives 2 miles away, they have a higher priority in that group than someone who scores 120 3 miles away?

Thanks in advance
That is what the criterion - combined with the definition of 'eligible' - says, yes. If they meant for actual score above the threshold to be relevant, it would have to be 'in rank order' and 'where two or more share the same score, those living nearer the achool would have priority', or something similar. The way that it is expressed gives everyone within the 4 mile radius equal rank, given that they achieve the threshold.

The full version also refers to note c, which reads:

c) In applying these admission arrangements, your home address will be defined as the place of residence of the parent with whom the applicant spends the majority of his/her time. This address must be the address where the applicant is living at the time of application and before the closing date for applications (31 October). Where parents share responsibility for part of the week, then both home addresses must be quoted. The school will check the authenticity of the home address stated.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now