Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm 

Hi ,

I am planning to move to wokingham next year ( July/Aug -2020) after my DD finish Year-5 in Current school(Basingstoke)
Moving to Wokingham to have good comprehensive schools as back up ,if my DD don't clear 11+ .I am staying in rented accommodation now ,So I have flexibility to move .

Is it difficult to get a year-6 admission in wokingham primary schools(Assuming there won't be much movement during year-6) or Is it good to move ASAP .. !

Please share your experiences with wokingham primary schools.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:41 pm 

I know most of the ones in the Earley Cluster are over subscribed as probably don’t have spaces but worth trying. Earley St Peter’s has a history of slightly higher turnover due to a reasonable number of Reading children being there (it is right in the border) and Whiteknights I think is similar, so they might have the odd space. Primaries further out I don’t know as well, but Wokingham actually covers a wide area. Which Secondaries were you looking at as back ups?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:55 pm 

I am considering Holt,St Crispin's,Emmbrook as back ups.

My DD will be studying year-5 from September -2019 .Mainly I am worried about chances of getting primary school admission at year-6 level if I move next year.

I am assuming, DD should be studying year-6 in one of local school to apply for Year-7 place ( By October 31st ).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm 

She will need to be in catchment for Kendrick by the end of August, before starting year 6, otherwise she will will be counted as OOC and tbh there’s no point her taking the test.

Holt is heavily oversubscribed, so if that’s your first choice over the other two make sure you are close. Somewhere I have allocation distances for the WBC so will see if I can dig them out if you’d like. I think from memory they all have a shared catchment. It’s an area of WBC I don’t know quite as well and certainly don’t know the local primaries around there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:21 pm 

@Tinkers ,
Thanks for your replies.My current address also come under priority zone-2 of Kendrick .The only reason for my plans to move is to have good comprehensives as back up.
I am aware of latest allocation distances of above schools .I have read in Kendrick website ,Test day registration form (Section-1)should be signed by Head teacher of DD's current school ( year-6) and parents(Section-2) .So,I am concerned about whether DD can get Year-6 admission by Test date (14 September in 2019 ,may be around the same date next year(2020) .

Do you think ,Am I taking risk by planning to move next year ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:34 pm 

I’d not worry too much about the HT signature, although it might be worth asking kendrick which HT signature they’d prefer. The signature is to prevent fraudulent test sitting, so the HT is signing to say the child in the picture is indeed who they really are.

If you are planning other WBC schools as back up you had best check their residency requirements too, as I think you will also need to be in catchment when you submit the CAF/by end October for some of them. If you are already in catchment for Kendrick, then the other schools are going to determine your best time to move.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am 

@Tinkers

I have gone through Holt,St Crispin's,Emmbrook Admission guidelines .I don't see any mention about last date to be in catchment to apply.But I read, if move later 31st October ,evidence should be submitted by 15 Jan.I remember seeing 31st October as lastdate to move into county so that applicant will be local ,few months back.Can you please share any information ,if you have about these school's dates .

I read in guidelines
"Applicants will be asked to declare that the address used is expected to be their place of residence beyond
the date of the pupil starting school. " .

What happens if move to newly bought home in the same school's designated area after starting school ? Will my DD's admission be will be withdrawn ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pm 

If you’ve checked them , then they should be ok. I just knew that some schools in WBC have cutoff dates earlier but not sure which ones.

Remember that the LAs and schools are interested in fraudulent applications. If you move into the area to get a place then move out of catchment, then they will be looking very closely at your application. (I know RBC are quite hot on this. Not sure about WBC)

However if you move in catchment and rent, then subsequently buy in catchment, that shouldn’t attract their attention as it won’t look fraudulent. If however you move out then they will. Holt might be different, as if you move too far from there, should you get a place, again, they might look closely.

Since you mention you will be renting, You might also need to ensure you can prove you won’t move back, (by showing you no longer have property elsewhere, or have a long term rental agreement etc). They might ask for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm 

Thanks for your clarification .

I don't have plans to move out of county after getting admission .Actually I wanted to buy a home near to Holt or in WBC ,if I get admission there .My preference will be always staying as near as possible to the school.

I don't have a own house as of now in UK and I can't afford to maintain longterm rental agreement for another house while staying at WBC :)

As per latest (2019 -march ) allocations in wbc website ,All DD's got admission in Holt who is in school's designated catchment area.

"The Academy Trust Board (also known as the Governing Body) at The Holt School commissioned Wokingham Borough Council to rank applications on its behalf against the school’s oversubscription criteria and it met to agree the ranking prior to allocation. After co-ordination, the school was fully allocated with children who qualified under oversubscription criteria A to F plus 23 children in criterion G."

Following is the extract from Holt's over subscription criteria
"E. Children whose permanent home address is in the designated area of the school."
"G. Children whose parents have a preference for single sex education"