Does St.Bernard's selection criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Does St.Bernard's selection criteria

Post by hermanmunster »

it is very curious and doesn't seem to happen where there are other schools eg Belvedere, Liverpool which still has an indie Prep. Can't find anything about it online - hope someone knows the answer!
acool

Post by acool »

Can someone explain the Category 9 for this school - The last year stat says that.

"Category 9 living within a
5.7 mile radius, rank score
down to 113."

What does this mean - The application in this category is based on score Or distance Or Both?

If My DD scored 125 and we live @8.6 miles from school - do we hold any chance?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Looking back at the historic data, last year was the first time anyone from the ‘any other children’ category got a place.

Could be a change that continues, or could just be a blip.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

acool wrote:Can someone explain the Category 9 for this school - The last year stat says that.

down to 113."

What does this mean - The application in this category is based on score Or distance Or Both?

Someone else asked a similar question earlier, this was my reply

This is taken from their admission policy
I'm assuming it would apply to Cat 9 (Any other children)

"If necessary, the Governing Body will determine an order of priority within the above categories based on the following criteria in this order of priority:
1. Children currently in receipt of the Pupil Premiumviii.
2. On the child’s score in the Selective Tests.
In the event of one or more eligible pupils being tied for the final place or places at the school, priority will be decided by proximity to the school"

It's impossible to say what will happen next year as it's unusual for St B to go as far as Cat 9!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

rhiane wrote:
acool wrote:Can someone explain the Category 9 for this school - The last year stat says that.

down to 113."

Someone else asked a similar question earlier, this was my reply

This is taken from their admission policy
I'm assuming it would apply to Cat 9 (Any other children)

"If necessary, the Governing Body will determine an order of priority within the above categories based on the following criteria in this order of priority:
1. Children currently in receipt of the Pupil Premiumviii.
2. On the child’s score in the Selective Tests.
In the event of one or more eligible pupils being tied for the final place or places at the school, priority will be decided by proximity to the school"

It's impossible to say what will happen next year as it's unusual for St B to go as far as Cat 9!
You may stand more of a chance with Upton or Herschel (after Kendrick of course)
acool

Post by acool »

Many thanks rhiane.
Berkmum2016

Post by Berkmum2016 »

if I am correct- 4 years ago when my dd did her 11 plus st bernards did not have feeders school. Therefore if you were practising another faith 6 and 7 you were considered....

im assuming this feeder school part is new? Which is not great as already our options are not great with dd scoring 122.

We live 4.5 miles away.

i feel for people that live further than 5 miles...as just qualifying is not good enough...u have to exceed alot in order to stand a chance...
MightyMum

Post by MightyMum »

There is no mention of "feeder" schools. Just like some schools now have implemented distance criteria to prioritise local kids instead of the families that send their kids 40 miles just to get them in a grammar school.
St Bernard's is a catholic school, the criteria is nothing about "feeder" schools - its about encouraging families that respect the catholic faith and have already been educated in a catholic environment. The fact that St Bernard's prep is independent is irrelevant - it's a local catholic primary school, therefore the children there have been educated in a catholic environment.

I sometimes wonder if people find an excuse to have a moan just because the criteria doesn't fit their individual circumstances.