Kendrick versus HBS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rhiane

Re: Kendrick versus HBS

Post by rhiane »

acool wrote:One year spike does not matter - if you see the data from years then I would rate HBS over the Kendrick (again it's opinion).

Yes for sure. Had I been in your place, I would certainly move nearby area but depending upon the outcome of Mar allocation.

One point to note - Progress 8 (I have my own opinion about it) if you take a top layer then the progress 8 can be really challenging because they are already at high level. The Progress 8 matters if everyone takes the student at the same level.

Few stat - Total student appear for Kendrick = @1,000 and this school have strict catchment area Or designated area - so qualified with in catchment are @230 ish

Vs

HBS = @ 4K students appear for exam and then 300 and then final 100 (after second test)
Actually the Progress 8 result was the same last year as well, with Kendrick above HBS so not a one year spike!

If you're going to go by league tables (I personally take them with a pinch of salt) then imo Progress 8 is the most informative aspect of them.
As you say it's our own personal opinions, I don't have DC in either of the those schools but am very happy with the (non pressurised) Grammar school they are both at, it suits them both perfectly and they most importantly they are happy.
acool

Post by acool »

I agree, it's subjective.

It's all depends upon individual.

Kids thrive in different environment. It's depends upon you (as a parent) and your children, no right and no wrong.

And it's just put us in a difficult situation after score is declared.
Berkshireguy

Post by Berkshireguy »

ToadMum wrote:
Berkshireguy wrote:I am in the same situation .We are equally confused as to what difference HBS can make compared to Kendrick.

My daughter is in BandA for HBS & have scored 119 for Kendrick. I am sure not sure which one should I put as Priority 1. If I Put HBS as priority 1 and if i get it, Will Kendrick not offer me a place???

Although my daughter is in Band A, what guarentee does that offer for a seat, considering we are 30 miles away from the school postcode??

Has anyone gone/ going through similar situation as this last year.
Which local authority do you live in, that its website does not explain the application and allocation system to its residents? You should complain :shock:.

The school you list first should be the school that you and your DD genuinely want her to join in year 7.

Then put the school that you and she genuinely want her to join in year 7, if the first school cannot be offered.

Then put the school that you and she... and so on.

Somewhere on your form, it would be sensible to put the school from which you can be as certain as possible that she will receive an offer, not dependent on things such as entrance exams.

Each of the schools ranks your application, independently, with no knowledge of wher else you have applied. The individual responses make their way back to your home local authority. Which does know your whole list of schools. And allocates a place at the one which can offer a place, which you ranked above any others that can.

So, put HBS first, get allocated HBS, application to Kendrick, along with any other, lowest-ranked (by you) schools, disappears. You don't get to choose. You also don't get to go on the waiting list for lower ranked schools (without making what is essentially a late application to the school), or have the right to appeal for a place, because you got a higher preference (ditto).

Even if your DD is offered a place at HBS, do you really want to move house? Presumably you wouldn't make the poor child commute 30 miles each way? You must have had a plan when you registered her for the exam?

My daughter has visited both the school and she personally likes HBS. I appreciate her as she set a target for herself to achieve the result she wanted so she can get into the school she liked.

Yes, If she is offered a place then I would have to move. As others have said, BandA doesn't guarantee a place, but doing a bit of analysis, my brain says , there aren't going to be 100 people living within 3 miles radius. More over, I read in another post that HBS waiting list can move upto 20 -30 places.

When I compare the house prices in Barnet, a similar house costs twice as much as it would cost in Berkshire to have the same standard of living. just considering the house price itself makes Barnet three times as expensive as sending my daughter to a Private School, the Abbey, in Reading.

that's the reason why i wanted to be double sure to see if HBS has a edge over Kendrick. Recent GCSE results shows that HBS is one Rank1 and kendrik on rank 3.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... e-20644183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mad?

Post by mad? »

I understand the quandry you all have, particularly those of you with only 3 choices on the CAF. Here are some points I would recommend considering:
1: Just because HBS is a tiny bit above Kendrick on a certain measure of achievement, do I think that means my DD will achieve more highly there. If so why? What is it that either HBS has or my DD lacks that means I think this is the case?
2: The progess 8 scores shows, in laymans terms, the value a school adds, ie, how much more highly or not DC have achieved compared to expectations. As with all such data it is a blunt instrument, but is my DD achieving the most highly that she can important?
3: What about everything else in the school, apart from academics (trust be as the parent of 2 highly achieving DDs this is more important).
4: If after considering all of the above HBS is still ahead, is it worth the enormous financial outlay and uprooting my family from your community, friends, stability etc etc etc ?

Good luck
mad?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Berkshireguy wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Berkshireguy wrote:I am in the same situation .We are equally confused as to what difference HBS can make compared to Kendrick.

My daughter is in BandA for HBS & have scored 119 for Kendrick. I am sure not sure which one should I put as Priority 1. If I Put HBS as priority 1 and if i get it, Will Kendrick not offer me a place???

Although my daughter is in Band A, what guarentee does that offer for a seat, considering we are 30 miles away from the school postcode??

Has anyone gone/ going through similar situation as this last year.
Which local authority do you live in, that its website does not explain the application and allocation system to its residents? You should complain :shock:.

The school you list first should be the school that you and your DD genuinely want her to join in year 7.

Then put the school that you and she genuinely want her to join in year 7, if the first school cannot be offered.

Then put the school that you and she... and so on.

Somewhere on your form, it would be sensible to put the school from which you can be as certain as possible that she will receive an offer, not dependent on things such as entrance exams.

Each of the schools ranks your application, independently, with no knowledge of wher else you have applied. The individual responses make their way back to your home local authority. Which does know your whole list of schools. And allocates a place at the one which can offer a place, which you ranked above any others that can.

So, put HBS first, get allocated HBS, application to Kendrick, along with any other, lowest-ranked (by you) schools, disappears. You don't get to choose. You also don't get to go on the waiting list for lower ranked schools (without making what is essentially a late application to the school), or have the right to appeal for a place, because you got a higher preference (ditto).

Even if your DD is offered a place at HBS, do you really want to move house? Presumably you wouldn't make the poor child commute 30 miles each way? You must have had a plan when you registered her for the exam?

My daughter has visited both the school and she personally likes HBS. I appreciate her as she set a target for herself to achieve the result she wanted so she can get into the school she liked.

Yes, If she is offered a place then I would have to move. As others have said, BandA doesn't guarantee a place, but doing a bit of analysis, my brain says , there aren't going to be 100 people living within 3 miles radius. More over, I read in another post that HBS waiting list can move upto 20 -30 places.

When I compare the house prices in Barnet, a similar house costs twice as much as it would cost in Berkshire to have the same standard of living. just considering the house price itself makes Barnet three times as expensive as sending my daughter to a Private School, the Abbey, in Reading.

that's the reason why i wanted to be double sure to see if HBS has a edge over Kendrick. Recent GCSE results shows that HBS is one Rank1 and kendrik on rank 3.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... e-20644183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The difference between HBSs 85.1 and Kendricks 84.5 (Attainment8) is neither here nor there! The difference between Progress 8 is far greater with Kendrick at 1.28 and HBS at 0.91!
I can't understand why anyone with a great school like Kendrick on their doorstep would contemplate moving to an expensive area for the sake of such a tiny difference in league tables which are fluid anyway?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I wonder if this dilemma goes on every year. Some old members may remember that I was in this situation in 2014/15. I don't have an answer but I can say what we went with.

We saw both the schools, travelled to both schools at peak times and other things such as how the girls responded at open evening etc. To me, both schools looked great. HBS buildings and open areas were aesthetically pleasing. Kendrick doesn't have that space and greenery. The teachers and girls in both schools looked very good. However, DD and her dad slightly favoured Kendrick. We thought the girls at Kendrick looked more relaxed and it had a bit of rural charm kind of feel. Knowing my DD, despite starting late, she made it to the 11+ because she was in a relaxed, lower league tables (middle of a council estate) type of primary school. I am pretty sure if she was in a high performing primary she would have struggled. We decided not to enter her in the second round of HBS and let her enjoy her primary school years and have never asked her to study since the 11+. So far, we are very happy with Kendrick.

I may be biased but I am not sure if there is much difference in the ability of the girls at both the schools. I guess the question to ask is - what is in it for me(my DD) rather that how the school is and which environment will suit my DD more?

I hope this of help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now