query: slough waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi venus,
yes there must be very strong case from the parents. I just wish this waiting was over soon. my friend's daughter passed slough and failed langley. she is going to slough. whereas mine passed both and still waiting :roll:
regbosie

Slough waiting list

Post by regbosie »

Anyone heard any more on how its moving if at all..
Read another thread on forum whereby at least 2 children got in on a non qualification appeal heard in Feb, were told on 4th mar, yet my dd passed and still waiting. ...
How can this happen? why? and should they not be put on wait list behind those who passed??? Can't understand it.
Should the school be approached on this?
chad

Post by chad »

It does seem unfair (if reports are correct) that children that achieved 111, or more, in either the consortium or Slough grammar exam are still waiting for an offer while children that went to appeal with a mark of below 111 have a certain offer of a place.
It would be very hard to justify the decision.... as the child who achieved 111 or more did not had the option of an appeal at that time.
Were you given the option of appeal when told you were on the waiting list?
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

How it seems to work is,if you didn't pass the 11plus you were given the opportunity prior to the 3rd March to appeal for non-qualification but a successful appeal meant you then got offered a place.
I have heard of several successful appeals for Slough Grammar(and places were offered)but none for the Slough Consortium.
If you passed but are then on the waiting list, due to over subscription, you now given an opportunity for a transfer/over subscription appeal.

LM XX
regbosie

Post by regbosie »

But surely those non-qualifying below 111 who won their appeal and been given firm places have created more places on the waitlist for those who passed...does that make sense??
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

That's Right!
It does not seem fair......It is so frustrating being on the waiting list,as you say, when you have passed and "could" end up not getting an offer of a place at" any" Grammar?
LM
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

Been thinking about this again!
You could say that "is it fair?" that any child has a successful appeal for an over-subscribed school/transfer, when it means the may be getting a place over a child that was higher than them on the waiting list?
LM
regbosie

Post by regbosie »

Just to be clear.. a non qualifying child(below 111) because they appealed
has been given a firm place above a child who qualified (above 111) and not been offered and now having to be on waiting list.
Can that be right???
chad

Post by chad »

Hi regbosie, the problem is that neither the consortium or Slough have ever published how children with a succesful appeal are then given places when there is oversubscription.
It is all hearsay.
From the posts on this forum it does seem that some children, that have gone through the appeal procedure, have been offered places while there are children on the waiting list.
Again it is hearsay and I am unsure how we would go about ascertaining the facts.
regbosie

Post by regbosie »

Hi Chad,

Today I went to talk to HT of my dd school for guidance on appeals, he maybe shouldn't have but did when the subject arose about this and he confirmed one of the pupils who had not qualified (<111) had appealed
and won a place at Slough!!!

Who can help in this case? can we complain to the LA maybe,
someone in same boat as us but lives in Berkshire i presume!!