Reading test delayed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ConfusedFather

Re: Reading test delayed

Post by ConfusedFather »

New dates have been set to the weekend of the 7th of November.
semb

Re: Reading test delayed

Post by semb »

I see Reading have confirmed that the re-scheduled test is still due to go ahead next weekend.

I see they have also given extensive guidance on what to do if the child is ill on the day. It's clear if a child is self-isolating they will accept a letter from the primary school as proof. However, what I'm wondering about is if the child is ill on the day with a non-covid related illness. The Reading School guidance is clear that in this situation:

"Please note there will be no opportunities for absentees to sit the papers on an alternative date unless a medical certificate is produced dated on the date of the tests to prove ill-health on that day, in which case your son will be offered the opportunity to sit the tests on another date."

My son is currently fine, and goodness knows, we just want the test to be over now. But it did get me thinking - with his test being on Sunday - what on earth would I do if he woke up ill on the day? The GPs are shut, and I can't imagine out of hours services coming out to give a child a medical certificate, when I imagine at the moment, they would try to operate telephone services only where possible. Looking on my GPs website, they state clearly that they will not give medical certificates to school children for examination purposes anyway as they say the Exams regulator and JCQ say medical proof isn't required. Clearly this relates to non-11+ exams, but I just can't see how, in the unfortunate situation of having a sick child on a Sunday, it would be possible to get a medical certificate dated on the day. Unless I'm missing something really obvious, of course.

Hopefully, this is all unnecessary anxiety, and I should just get off the forum and do some work! Fingers crossed he remains well and we can breathe a huge, 11+ 2020 sigh of relief come Sunday evening!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now