KENDRICK ALLOCATIONS 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NeedAbreak

Re: KENDRICK ALLOCATIONS 2021

Post by NeedAbreak »

Johnst77 wrote:Thank you Tinkers,

Sorry, to clarify my second point - there were 79 places available equally to P2 or P1 - ie no preference.... for a P2 child to qualify they would need to be in top 79 scores.

My DD got 117.28 not 117.58 (my mistake here) - do you think that was still enough to get in? My calcs. Showed this to be 1 place out but are yours different? To miss my one place is obviously really upsetting!

Thanks again
Are you not in the catchment? from the anonymised scores 117.28 is NO that means not in catchment.
anik

Post by anik »

It indeed is very disappointing and unfair. I honestly think @Johnst77 daughter should have gotten a place in Kendrick. The school admission policy is unfair and arbitrary to an extend.
The school has sold its soul (effectively reduced merit seats) in order to get funding for additional 32 seats.
However you still have a chance to move from #55 to #1 if you move home before the waiting list stops. Move home to p1 for couple of years, Even if it means an additional cost. AFAIK the rule of move before 31st August 2020 doesn't apply to waiting list students.
anik

Post by anik »

Sorry, to clarify my second point - there were 79 places available equally to P2 or P1 - ie no preference.... for a P2 child to qualify they would need to be in top 79 scores.

My DD got 117.28 not 117.58 (my mistake here) - do you think that was still enough to get in? My calcs. Showed this to be 1 place out but are yours different? To miss my one place is obviously really upsetting!

Thanks again
Out of Curiosity, I just noticed that the score of 117.28 is marked as out of catchment (neither P1 nor P2). Is it possible that you might have missed it because of that ?
NeedAbreak

Post by NeedAbreak »

anik wrote:It indeed is very disappointing and unfair. I honestly think @Johnst77 daughter should have gotten a place in Kendrick. The school admission policy is unfair and arbitrary to an extend.
The school has sold its soul (effectively reduced merit seats) in order to get funding for additional 32 seats.
However you still have a chance to move from #55 to #1 if you move home before the waiting list stops. Move home to p1 for couple of years, Even if it means an additional cost. AFAIK the rule of move before 31st August 2020 doesn't apply to waiting list students.
Hoo..what are the waiting rules.They don't check address proofs like where you were living and and when did you move? and if they have own home and moving out for rent ...how that will be applicable?
NeedAbreak

Post by NeedAbreak »

anik wrote:

Thanks again
Out of Curiosity, I just noticed that the score of 117.28 is marked as out of catchment (neither P1 nor P2). Is it possible that you might have missed it because of that ?
Not sure ....but if they are not in catchment they shouldn't have get waiting list in my opinion..
anik

Post by anik »

NeedAbreak wrote: Hoo..what are the waiting rules.They don't check address proofs like where you were living and and when did you move? and if they have own home and moving out for rent ...how that will be applicable?
People move homes for host of reasons. Ease of travel/better education/good neighbourhood/sibling etc. As per common knowledge, the movement in waiting list applies as per the rules that P1 area will be first allocated and if there are any left after all the P1 with qualifying score, P2 waiting list will move. However the waiting list movement doesn't specify that you should be present in Priority one area before 31st of August 2020, but only current post code. Post code change(change of circumstances) can be communicated to school by calling/emailing them.

Having said that, one should confirm from school before making a big move.
ucyocho

Post by ucyocho »

anik wrote:It indeed is very disappointing and unfair. I honestly think @Johnst77 daughter should have gotten a place in Kendrick. The school admission policy is unfair and arbitrary to an extend.
I personally think it's unfair that it isn't totally a local school for local girls. If you have got travel from another town especially if that town also has a grammar school then that doesn't seem right either. Perfectly reasonable to guarantee places for local girls in order to add places. There is a shortage of school places in reading so this makes a very good argument for making sure local girls get places.
Johnst77

Post by Johnst77 »

Thanks for the various messages - sorry for confusion - my DD score was 117.27 (P2) not 117.28 (NO) so it’s definitely not that we aren’t in catchment.

Appreciate the house move suggestions, but a) I’m not sure you can move to affect your waiting list place - and assume it would be quite risky as could easily take 3 months minimum to move house, by which time it’s likely most waiting list places will have been handed out anyway (they won’t change a waiting list offer place later on). b) we don’t want to move and we do live in catchment, just the outer P2 catchment which others have commented shouldn’t penalise us on the unfair waiting list preference system.

To the last post’s point on local school for local children - the P1 and P2 areas ARE local catchment - we live in a village just outside Reading - Reading is the nearest main town to us and the nearest grammar school to us... I don’t have a problem in 32 places being allocated just to P1 children, to ensure some inner Reading preference, what I think is most unfair is that the waiting list gives 100% preference to P1 children. It would be much fairer for waiting list allocations to mirror the main offer allocations - ie if a child from the top 96 places doesn’t take up their offer, that place should go to top ranked child on waiting list regardless if P1 or P2; if a child from the remaining 32 places doesn’t take up their offer, that place should go to top ranked P1 child...
felizefun

Post by felizefun »

I totally agree, Johnst77. In fact, that's how I thought the waiting list operated. I wasn't aware they prioritised even the waiting list based on P1 and P2.

We are also in a village just outside Reading (10 minutes drive to Kendrick) and it's disappointing to know that my daughter, who scored higher than some of the others, is ranked lower purely because we are in P2.
spv

Post by spv »

re-posting
Last edited by spv on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now