Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: KENDRICK ALLOCATIONS 2021

Post by Tinkers »

NeedAbreak wrote:
anik wrote:
Johnst77 wrote:Thank you Tinkers,

Sorry, to clarify my second point - there were 79 places available equally to P2 or P1 - ie no preference.... for a P2 child to qualify they would need to be in top 79 scores.

My DD got 117.28 not 117.58 (my mistake here) - do you think that was still enough to get in? My calcs. Showed this to be 1 place out but are yours different? To miss my one place is obviously really upsetting!

Thanks again
Out of Curiosity, I just noticed that the score of 117.28 is marked as out of catchment (neither P1 nor P2). Is it possible that you might have missed it because of that ?
Not sure ....but if they are not in catchment they shouldn't have get waiting list in my opinion..
Since catchment was introduced for 2013 entry, no girl from outside catchment has got a place. They can’t be refused to go on the WL due to being ooc, but they go after everyone else, so given the numbers applying etc and the small movement in the waiting list, there’s no realistic chance of them getting a place. Some still obviously thing it’s worth doing the test (often sharing their score with Slough) and wasting a slot on the CAF.

If people move into catchment later, or move from P2 to P1, then they will move up the waiting list. However RBC are very keen to ensure there’s no fraudulent admissions and you will likely to checked out, especially if you then move again afterwards, so make sure it’s a genuine move.

Also it’s no guarantee it will move enough. One year the WL only moved one place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 19_Dec.pdf

Waiting Lists
A list of children held and maintained by the admission authority when the school has allocated all of its places, on which children are ranked in priority order against the school’s published oversubscription criteria.

Waiting lists
2.14 Each admission authority must maintain a clear, fair and objective waiting list until at least 31 December of each school year of admission,
stating in their arrangements that each added child will require the list to be ranked again in line with the published oversubscription criteria. Priority must
not be given to children based on the date their application was received or their name was added to the list. Looked after children, previously looked after children, and those allocated a place at the school in accordance with a FairAccess Protocol, must take precedence over those on a waiting list.

It might be worth a request under FOI to get a definitive answer from the school as to how spaces arising in each of the categories are filled (and exactly how those on the waiting list/s are ranked). (After 31st December, the school can just hold a general CI list and only rank those on it if a place becomes available. Or not actually hold a list at all, but the only school I've come across personally that did that changed to holding a CI list a while back, for precisely the reasons that I thought theirs was a daft way of going about things in the first place).

I can't help feeling that they may just have made the admissions policy a shade more difficult than necessary to achieve their joint widening participation / 'keeping it local' aims?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
spv

Post by spv »

Allocations on National Offer Day is based on the post code as of 31st Aug 2020.
A waiting list will be prepared accordingly. Say WL1.

Anyone who moved into P1(genuinely either from P2 or Outside catchment) after 31st Aug 2020 ( but before 31 Dec 2020 or other time-frame set by local authority) would be added to the waiting list based on the scores. Say WL2.

Assume:
a) 2 candidates did not accept allocated places
b) 5 candidates moved into P1 with scores more than cut-off( strictly speaking more than the 1st candidate in WL1).

Based on School admissions policy which one is correct

The first 2 candidates from (b) will be allocated places and the first candidate in WL1 now move to 4th position in WL2
OR
The 5 candidates will occupy the first 5 positions in WL1 itself ?

In simple words anyone who moved into P1(genuinely either from P2 or Outside catchment) after 31st Aug 2020 ( but before 31 Dec 2020 or other time-frame set by local authority) will not be allocated places on National Offer day.
will they be added to the first waiting list published on National Offer day ?
or
the second waiting list prepared after National Offer day ?
ucyocho

Post by ucyocho »

If people live just outside Reading fair enough they should be in catchment but girls come from Slough and one parent said they were travelling from Hook 30 miles away! Perhaps the catchment should be Reading and immediate surrounds all on one list.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

ucyocho wrote:If people live just outside Reading fair enough they should be in catchment but girls come from Slough and one parent said they were travelling from Hook 30 miles away! Perhaps the catchment should be Reading and immediate surrounds all on one list.
Hook is not 30 miles away, the route to school from there is 13/14 miles.

The catchment is an approx 15 mile radius. Most of Slough isn’t in catchment either.

The P1 area includes postcodes that are in Reading or at least partly in Reading itself.

Tbh in my DDs year (just left) about 2/3 were from Reading or just over the border, in places like Woodley or Earley etc.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

NeedAbreak wrote:
ucyocho wrote:
Tinkers wrote:In previous years the waiting list has moved about 6 places. (One year it only moved one).

I’d look at your DDs waiting list position and make a judgement on that, but there’s no issue staying on the list. Just be realistic about whether it’s going to move enough or not.
I was told in moved 15 places last year in the end. Looking at how this year is going though I suspect that's unlikely typical as we are ranked 15 on the WL.
May I know the source of information for waiting moved 15 places last year,until June it only moved 6 places.15 is a very big number and never heard that kendrick waiting list moved that much.

and any one knows,is there any possibility of getting last year anonymised scores.From kendrick FAQ waiting list moved from 108.66 to 106.68 last year and that is a big movement.
I’m also not convinced it moved that much either. They are reasonably good at keeping the website updated.
spv

Post by spv »

spv wrote:Allocations on National Offer Day is based on the post code as of 31st Aug 2020.
A waiting list will be prepared accordingly. Say WL1.

Anyone who moved into P1(genuinely either from P2 or Outside catchment) after 31st Aug 2020 ( but before 31 Dec 2020 or other time-frame set by local authority) would be added to the waiting list based on the scores. Say WL2.

Assume:
a) 2 candidates did not accept allocated places
b) 5 candidates moved into P1 with scores more than cut-off( strictly speaking more than the 1st candidate in WL1).

Based on School admissions policy which one is correct

The first 2 candidates from (b) will be allocated places and the first candidate in WL1 now move to 4th position in WL2
OR
The 5 candidates will occupy the first 5 positions in WL1 itself ?

In simple words anyone who moved into P1(genuinely either from P2 or Outside catchment) after 31st Aug 2020 ( but before 31 Dec 2020 or other time-frame set by local authority) will not be allocated places on National Offer day.
will they be added to the first waiting list published on National Offer day ?
or
the second waiting list prepared after National Offer day ?
Still looking for an answer for the above query. Experts any inputs ?
akhaitan

Post by akhaitan »

I think Kendrick’s waiting list is quite simple. Irrespective of what current waiting list was yesterday, if you move from P2 to P1 today (able to show adequate proof that discarded/rented old property and show council tax etc for P1 property), the waiting list will be updated immediately as on today. So say if someone was on WL 55 yesterday because of living in P2, and today they move to P1, their WL will become 1. Till yesterday, the school could have offered places based on old waiting list though.

Also as far as I understand, if someone scored 117 and moved to P1 even on 1-Sep-2020, so they would have not got place in first allocation(as cut off was higher), but they would get top waiting list. That’s how some people from out of catchment can get admission before P1/P2.

The only problem is, this information is not written by school anywhere. So parents should call school admissions to confirm the criteria, and then make the house move.
Johnst77

Post by Johnst77 »

Thanks for the suggestions on move into P1 - this isn’t something we are wanting to do.

You are correct - 117 wasn’t enough this year to get an automatic place in the first allocation of 96 places (inc PP pupils) - but it was enough for a place in the second allocation (32 places) which gives preference to P1 location - the highest score given to a second allocation place was just 112. The waiting list only kicks in once both allocations are filled.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick FAQs sort of mention it and I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere but can’t find right now.
Can my daughter’s position on the waiting list change?
A Your daughter’s position on the waiting list may go up or down due to change of preference, offers and/or withdrawals.
https://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/att ... 1&type=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In reality, so few people move at this stage, even before covid, that it’s not really something that crops up. If people are going to move they do so to be in catchment before applying for the test.

In addition, RBC and the school (along with most schools these days) will look very closely at anyone moving to make sure it’s a genuine move. Moving back out again once you get a place will quite likely lead to the place being withdrawn. RBC have done this in the past for a primary school place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now