Any point trying for a grammar school if maths is average?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bridge

Re: Any point trying for a grammar school if maths is averag

Post by bridge »

There's a very anti-tutoring sentiment here. However, everyone does it. It could be a parent directly helping a child (that's what I did/do) or it could be a formal tuition method. Everyone must do it because it doesn't make sense not to - my Y2 son comes home and needs help with his maths, I sit down and go through it with him why wouldn't I?

When they are getting tutoring they are learning - perhaps they couldn't understand things at school but this helps them. In my experience the grammars aren't full of naturally bright children they are full of hard workers. My daughter who is at TGS came home to tell me that all her friends have lined up GCSE tutors!! It just doesn't end.

The other big thing you hear on this forum is that children who were heavily tutored struggle at grammar school, there is never any evidence given for this - and nor can there be.

Don't be put off if you have to help your child. Everyone else is doing it.
mad?

Post by mad? »

bridge wrote: My daughter who is at TGS came home to tell me that all her friends have lined up GCSE tutors!! It just doesn't end.
The other big thing you hear on this forum is that children who were heavily tutored struggle at grammar school, there is never any evidence given for this - and nor can there be.
If a school is good, like TGS, and a child is not struggling, why do they need a tutor? Or indeed do they? When will their parents leave them be?
mad?
bridge

Post by bridge »

mad? wrote:If a school is good, like TGS, and a child is not struggling, why do they need a tutor? Or indeed do they? When will their parents leave them be?
The school is like any other, but the cohort is very driven (the parents included) and there is no distraction.
Edited by moderator to make quote work
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bridge wrote:
mad? wrote:If a school is good, like TGS, and a child is not struggling, why do they need a tutor? Or indeed do they? When will their parents leave them be?
The school is like any other, but the cohort is very driven (the parents included) and there is no distraction.
So, 'no distractions, but neither the girls nor their parents reckon that they can get a decent grade at GCSE without outside tutoring...? And if TGS really is only 'like any other' school, why all the fuss over making sure one's DD gets in there in the first place?

How far ahead do A level tutors get booked up?

There's presumably quite a market for personal statement writers as well? Wouldn't want to leave anything to chance.
Edited by moderator to make quotes work
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bridge

Post by bridge »

Well I can't speak for anyone else but disruptive pupils can ruin the learning experience for everyone. My daughter's friends who went to the local comp. complain of this exact thing.

The reason for tutors? Presumably the parents think this is just another school, or they want their children to achieve certain grades. If my daughter needs certain grades to be able to do a certain degree why shouldn't I help her?

There's presumably quite a market for personal statement writers as well? Wouldn't want to leave anything to chance. As it turns out there is. And I wouldn't.

There's a time and a place for letting children learn from their mistakes. It's not when decisions/outcomes could have a profound effect on their lives.

There was an article headline "It’s not what you earn, but what your parents have that truly counts". So when do you stop helping? Long after you even pass away.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

mad? wrote:
bridge wrote: My daughter who is at TGS came home to tell me that all her friends have lined up GCSE tutors!! It just doesn't end.
If a school is good, like TGS, and a child is not struggling, why do they need a tutor? Or indeed do they? When will their parents leave them be?
Nothing wrong in tutoring to get the very best out of that child.

Should the England football team stop practicing before the next World Cup or European football competition?

Should people stop practising before the London marathon?

Should Boxing world champions stop training because they are the best?

Tutoring is not any different.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Proud-Dad wrote:Should the England football team stop practicing before the next World Cup or European football competition?
Once a player is selected to play football for England do you think parents are arranging practise sessions for them? Or are they leaving them to fight it out on merit, given that they are being given the best training available, and supporting them in the background no matter what the long term outcome? I rather hope it is the latter.
mad?
bridge

Post by bridge »

This is an inappropriate comparison. No parent is arranging things for their professionally employed children.

Firstly, footballers are paid professionals - they have got to their end goal but I would suspect that their parents supported them fully in getting there. In fact having read autobiographies of professional sports people you won't be surprised that the parents didn't leave it to the school to train their children.

Secondly, do I leave it to my children to fight it out knowing that they don't have the best training available? People use private schools or tutors because that offers the best training.

Anyway to the op just give it your best shot.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now