Hillingdon resident

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Proud-Dad

Hillingdon resident

Post by Proud-Dad »

Is there any realistic chance of getting a place at one of the Slough Grammar schools?

We live in Hayes (P2) near the train station and our chices are as follows.

1. Upton Court grammar (6.6 miles) 52 mins by 2 bus leaving home at 7.30am

2. Langley grammar (5.5 miles) 50 mins by 2 bus leaving home at 7.30am

3. Burnham grammar (10.01 miles) 50 mins if walking and taking GWR train or 30-35 mins if taking a bus and then taking the train with leaving the home at 7.30am

4. Herchel grammar (8.1 miles) 1 hour 2 mins taking the train and bus leaving home at 7.30am

Son will sit the Bucks 11plus aswell.
mad?

Re: Hillingdon resident

Post by mad? »

Hi. I’m on my phone at the moment so can’t link to them but if you have a look at the sticky threads at the top of the Berks and Bucks forums you will find previous allocation distances for both. This should give you a good idea. Also check the admissions of the Slough schools individually as they differ in terms of numbers of places allocated on score or distance. With a high score Hillingdon might be OK for Upton I think but they have changed their admissions policy recently and appeared to do so regularly so do check. I’m surprised the journey time is so long though? Surely with those distances it would be quicker to cycle if public transport is taking an hour to do 5 miles?
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Check whether you are in a priority area for Langley, if you aren’t then that’s highly unlikley. St Bs has faith criteria, which if you meet you probably have a good chance of a place, if not, then unlikely.

As Scary says, there’s admissions links for the Slough schools plus historic allocations data for the Slough school as stickies at the top of the Berkshire forum.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It was mad?, but here I am!
Note that Burnham Grammar is in Bucks (just!), although parts of Slough are within catchment. A few years ago you would have gained admission from Hayes (indeed my daughter had people in her year from further away than that), but not in recent years.
Last year Burnahm Grammar offered to out of catchment pupils to 1.615 miles on March 1st, and to 3.185 by June. This year on allocation day the distance was 2.452 miles, with no change a month later (I think some may have been offered to pupils who moved closer to the school). So there would have to be a huge change to get in from 10 miles away. My advice would be to not bother with the Bucks 11 plus as you will not get a place and it would be a waste of time, stress & resources (& potentially pushing a Bucks child out of the top 25-30%).
The allocation distances for Bucks are here
There are some Slough admissions statistics here
scary mum
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

scary mum wrote:It was mad?, but here I am!
Note that Burnham Grammar is in Bucks (just!), although parts of Slough are within catchment. A few years ago you would have gained admission from Hayes (indeed my daughter had people in her year from further away than that), but not in recent years.
Last year Burnahm Grammar offered to out of catchment pupils to 1.615 miles on March 1st, and to 3.185 by June. This year on allocation day the distance was 2.452 miles, with no change a month later (I think some may have been offered to pupils who moved closer to the school). So there would have to be a huge change to get in from 10 miles away. My advice would be to not bother with the Bucks 11 plus as you will not get a place and it would be a waste of time, stress & resources (& potentially pushing a Bucks child out of the top 25-30%).
The allocation distances for Bucks are here
There are some Slough admissions statistics here
In the Langley catchment we are P2

Although Burnham is 10 miles away its actually the easiest of the 4 schools to get to from Hayes. If timed right could actually get there in under 30 minutes. It may seem far but it's the easiest from the lot.

I would have moved closer but not in a position to do that at the moment. Maybe for next son.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

mad? wrote:Hi. I’m on my phone at the moment so can’t link to them but if you have a look at the sticky threads at the top of the Berks and Bucks forums you will find previous allocation distances for both. This should give you a good idea. Also check the admissions of the Slough schools individually as they differ in terms of numbers of places allocated on score or distance. With a high score Hillingdon might be OK for Upton I think but they have changed their admissions policy recently and appeared to do so regularly so do check. I’m surprised the journey time is so long though? Surely with those distances it would be quicker to cycle if public transport is taking an hour to do 5 miles?
The buses go passed Heathrow Bath Road and stop like every 200-300 metres.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

But you won't get a place at Burnham Grammar - you live too far away.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

streathammum wrote:But you won't get a place at Burnham Grammar - you live too far away.
I think realistically we are in catchment area for Langley if son gets a decent score.
Neeve

Post by Neeve »

Yes, there is!! Hayes is P2 area. My eldest scored 119 in 2018, he was accepted at 2nd choice Herschel. My youngest has got a place at Langley, starting September this yr. Herschel has a bus starting from Southall, Hayes (Sainsbury), then Dawley Road, then straight to the school. There is also a bus that goes to LGS, St. Bernard's, UGS. Schools will give you those details, as well as car share possibilities.
Proud-Dad

Post by Proud-Dad »

Neeve wrote:Yes, there is!! Hayes is P2 area. My eldest scored 119 in 2018, he was accepted at 2nd choice Herschel. My youngest has got a place at Langley, starting September this yr. Herschel has a bus starting from Southall, Hayes (Sainsbury), then Dawley Road, then straight to the school. There is also a bus that goes to LGS, St. Bernard's, UGS. Schools will give you those details, as well as car share possibilities.
Thank you for your reply. We live very close to Dawley Road. Maybe a couple minutes walk.

We will put down in order of choice if everything goes to plan.
1. Langley
2. Upton Court
3. Herchel
4. Burnham
5. Local school
6. Local school
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now