Changes to Reading Boys entrance exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dontpanic

Re: Changes to Reading Boys entrance exam

Post by dontpanic »

Candidates will be tested in English and Maths and Creative Writing. The English and Maths elements are
marked by computer and age-standardised. All students with an eligible score from those two elements will
have their creative writing element assessed and candidates will be ranked accordingly.
Hello, I am just trying to understanding the ranking, is it only done on the creative writing element? or is the final ranking based on all three elements?
kind regards
WrS

Post by WrS »

I am quoting the tie break from the admissions policy

In the event of standardised scores being tied for two or more candidates and where admission would exceed the PAN, the final rank order will be determined using performance in the Creative Writing element.

If the tie breaker is based on creative writing score than the final ranking cannot be based on creative writing only (otherwise there will be no tie breaker on this criteria). Therefore, the final ranking must be including Maths, English and Creative Writing elements.
dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

WrS wrote:I am quoting the tie break from the admissions policy

In the event of standardised scores being tied for two or more candidates and where admission would exceed the PAN, the final rank order will be determined using performance in the Creative Writing element.

If the tie breaker is based on creative writing score than the final ranking cannot be based on creative writing only (otherwise there will be no tie breaker on this criteria). Therefore, the final ranking must be including Maths, English and Creative Writing elements.
Ah that makes sense!
dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

Good morning,
Big congratulation to all the children who when through the process.
I hope I can revisit the topic now that results are out and places allocated.
Can anyone confirm how much time is given for creative writing portion of the exam, inclusive of planning and writing?
To the admins - Are we allow to talk about the questions give in the actual exams?
many thanks.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

dontpanic wrote:Good morning,
Big congratulation to all the children who when through the process.
I hope I can revisit the topic now that results are out and places allocated.
Can anyone confirm how much time is given for creative writing portion of the exam, inclusive of planning and writing?
To the admins - Are we allow to talk about the questions give in the actual exams?
many thanks.
We don’t allow discussion about exam content and other aspects that may give an advantage to late sitters (including things like number of questions, timing etc).The exam may be still taken by others throughout the rest of the academic year. Note also that exams can and do vary from year to year, and what has happened one year may not happen the next.
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

dontpanic wrote:...Can anyone confirm how much time is given for creative writing portion of the exam, inclusive of planning and writing?
A more prudent strategy would be to do some practice runs, maybe begin with 10 min planning and 20 min writing, and see if this can be improved further. CW planning is a mechanical process as much as it is imaginative. If you can get the mechanicals down to a science, children should be less concerned about whether they have used their planning time adequately.

Hope this helps.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

2020D2022S wrote:
dontpanic wrote:...Can anyone confirm how much time is given for creative writing portion of the exam, inclusive of planning and writing?
A more prudent strategy would be to do some practice runs, maybe begin with 10 min planning and 20 min writing, and see if this can be improved further. CW planning is a mechanical process as much as it is imaginative. If you can get the mechanicals down to a science, children should be less concerned about whether they have used their planning time adequately.

Hope this helps.
Many Thanks! That certainly helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now