UCGS Travel facts/challenges

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2020D2022S

UCGS Travel facts/challenges

Post by 2020D2022S »

Congratulations to many parents and children who are in a position to consider Upton Court Grammar School as their Secondary destination. I would like to present some facts/challenges we have faced and since resolved in relation to travel logistics. My own child now takes the public transport.

Please feel free to correct/add your own facts or challenges/solutions to this.

UCGS Facts
School ends Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri at 3:05pm - earlier than other GS in neighbourhood
School ends Wed at 1:35pm - way earlier than other GS in neighbourhood
Most after school activities end at 4:05pm on Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri.

Travel Options - Public
For children who walk or cycle to/from school, this is not difficult. For those taking the usual public bus routes this is also not difficult. TFL bus 81 running Slough to Hounslow with sufficient frequency is very convenient for children who can use this route. There is a bus stop right outside of school on A4. Except for occasional use, train is not a viable option for everyday commute (in my opinion).

Travel Options - Private
For children needing coach/van or other arranged travel, this could be challenging especially if the coach/van also picks up children from neighbouring schools. Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri there is a 30 minutes wait before children from those schools come out. And those coach/van services do not have second service after the "after school activities".

For parents considering car pickup-dropoff, the Wednesday mid-day pick up will have its own challenges.

Keep in mind
Most children arrive (or aim to arrive) at school between 7:55 and 8:10, to allow them some social time with their friends - part of growing up. If you are on the outskirts of Langley/Slough area at 8:00 am, traffic is terrible around schools - the bit around UCGS/StBCGS carries traffic for another 3 schools nearby, plus commuters. At this time the 1 mile stretch with bus lane running alongside could easily add another 15 minutes to your journey, if you are not already inside Langley area by 7:55. People driving from Datchet/Windsor/Wraysbury will meet a bottleneck at Datchet area.

(PS - please do not ask me about privately operated van/coach/car-share arrangements. See quoted note below).
Mad? wrote:We always post the following advice to those considering car shares

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now