commuting from Maidenhead to Upton Court school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jgupta80

commuting from Maidenhead to Upton Court school

Post by jgupta80 »

Hi,

I am looking for Upton court grammar school option for my son as he got 122 marks in 11 Plus exam. I have a query what are the commuting option available from Cox Geeen, Maidenhead to Upton Court school. Thanks
user12134

Re: commuting from Maidenhead to Upton Court school

Post by user12134 »

I am looking for the same information but I don't think there are any private coaches from Maidenhead to Slough school.
This is what I gathered if using train from Maidenhead and car:

Upton Court Grammar School
32 min - Train to Slough + walk 22 min
Car: 15-20 min

Langley Grammar School
34 min - Train to Langley + walk 19 min
Car: 20-25 min

Herschel Grammar School
40 min - Train to Slough + walk 30 min
Car: 15-20 min
mad?

Post by mad? »

You will find the rush hour car journey will be more than what you have quoted by car. Lots of DC travel in by train.
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What about a combination of buses & trains rather than the long walk? I imagine quite a few people make the journey.
scary mum
user12134

Post by user12134 »

I think they are too young to change trains/buses but that is certainly a possibly after few years.
The car route duration is from google maps and I used the time set at 7.30am on a week day.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's really not far by car, but of course you can easily get held up on the A4 & the school won't be very understanding over late arrival. You will be surprised how much the children grow up when they go to senior school & traveling on public transport will increase their confidence & "street awareness" very quickly. It also gives them flexibility for clubs etc. I imagine he would soon find friends doing a similar journey.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

One of ours had an obligatory change (bus-bus, bus-train or train-bus) for the whole of year 7 and having got over the issue of forgetting to stick her arm out to hail the bus months before she started at the school, had no problem at all with the process. DS1 occasionally lost concentration and got off at the wrong stop or dozed off and missed ours on the way he, but the furthest he got was four miles past us and he just crossed the road and caught the next bus back.

I would never suggest a long / complicated journey for anyone twice a day for the next five or more years, if a sensible alternative was available, but getting to grips with public transport is a useful life skill and there's a whole six months between national offer day and the beginning of year 7 for it to be mastered.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

There will always be elder Dc looking out for the Year 7s. My eldest got on the wrong branch of the District Line after her first day and was swiftly helped by others. It is hard to imagine when they are so small but by the end of the first term they will be the master of your family's public transport plans and very dismissive about the option of using a car. Good luck!
mad?
shna09

Post by shna09 »

I would like to know if anyone is interested in car pooling from maidenhead to/from UCGS. Plz ping me if you are interested.

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about the other parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)

• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)

• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?

• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?

• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?

• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?

• What if the other child moves to a different school?

• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?

• What if the driver smokes when driving?

• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

(With acknowledgements and thanks to one of our members who suggested that this guidance might prove helpful.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now