Bracknell - Reading Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rakesh621

Bracknell - Reading Grammar School

Post by Rakesh621 »

We are currently living in Bracknell (RG12).

Please let me know whether Bracknell comes under catchment area of Reading grammar school ? Are there any other Outstanding non-grammar schools in and around Bracknell ?

thank you in advance..
Tinkers

Re: Bracknell - Reading Grammar School

Post by Tinkers »

This should tell you.

https://www.reading-school.co.uk/page/? ... rea&pid=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There’s also a map.

I’ve a colleague who lives in Bracknell, and he isn’t complementary about most Bracknell secondaries. Ranelagh is the only one I’ve heard good things about, but as I live in Reading I don’t really know.
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

thank you for the link..
RG12 is within catchment area of Reading Grammar ..

Are there any children who travels from Bracknell to Reading ?
AlmostZen

Post by AlmostZen »

Rakesh621 wrote:thank you for the link..
RG12 is within catchment area of Reading Grammar ..

Are there any children who travels from Bracknell to Reading ?
I dont know exactly from Bracknell , but I know many Reading GS boys use train to reach school including from Wokingham and Maidenhead .
Bracknell is on the same direct train line so I am sure train is a viable option .
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

Does Bracknell(RG12) comes under Slough schools also ? We live near Bracknell Town Center

I need help in priorizing schools for CAF...
mad?

Post by mad? »

Rakesh621 wrote:Does Bracknell(RG12) comes under Slough schools also ? We live near Bracknell Town Center

You'll need to check their individual admissions pages (links below). I see Upton court have an online open event tonight that you can sign up for.
https://www.uptoncourtgrammar.org.uk/ye ... mber-2023/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?tit ... 23&pid=355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.herschel.slough.sch.uk/Scho ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Rakesh621 wrote:Does Bracknell(RG12) comes under Slough schools also ? We live near Bracknell Town Center

I think you’d also need to look at transport. Certainly public transport is probably not doable as they are on different train lines, I think you’d have to go to Reading and then back out.

There may be school buses available, but this limits participation in after school clubs, events (even detentions).

From memory Bracknell only have 3 spaces on the CAF, so you need to think more carefully about your choices.
Rakesh621

Post by Rakesh621 »

thank you Tinkers for the reply :)

We are planning to choose all options to 3 grammars schools i.e.Reading boys, Herschel and Landley. Not keeping any state school .

Is this safe to do like this from Bracknell? what if my DS doens get required score ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You really should have at least one school on there that you are confident you’ll get and that you are reasonably happy with. If you are not allocated a school on your list you’ll end up with wherever the LA can offer a place and it is likely to be a school that is undersubscribed for a reason (ie not a great school), and/or it could be difficult for your DS to travel to.

Also Langley has priority areas in its admissions policy and you are very unlikely to get a place unless you live close.

Have you checked how your DS would get to Herschel?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rakesh621 wrote:thank you Tinkers for the reply :)

We are planning to choose all options to 3 grammars schools i.e.Reading boys, Herschel and Landley. Not keeping any state school .

Is this safe to do like this from Bracknell? what if my DS doens get required score ?
you should get the scores from the exams before you complete the CAF - so best to read the admissions policies (and as Tinkers mentions check the priority areas etc) and then think again when you have the results, meanwhile you can have a look at other schools in the area in case your DS doesn't get the required scores
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now