berks test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BLANCA

berks test

Post by BLANCA »

What non verbal test papers should a child be doing now if they wish to try for berks school? we have looked at bond books but only got up to age 9-10 (I think ) as dd didnt want to go to berks school we droped it about a year ago to concentrate on bucks vr., and has now changed her mind. I have ignored her requests for a couple of weeks as I thought maybe she would change her mind again, but she keeps asking when can we do some nvr. Is it worth letting her have a go or should I talk her out of it? I dont want her to be upset if she failed. Also I am guessing that with no maths paper she would need a much higher score in vr & nvr, is that right? I know lots of her friends have been tutored since year three so if anyone has first hand experience of the tests and how much prep is really needed to get through I would be very grateful

sorry to waffle
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Blanca

Goodness isn't just all mad. Just when you think you have it all sorted!

My son sat the Berks test three years ago and we only done a little prep mainly because we wanted a Bucks school but as the rest of his friends were doing the Berks test he said he'd like to too.

We used the NFER papers. You an still get them as as you have covered so much of the VR you can just concentrate on NV. You will still need the maths if you want to consider Slough Grammar and they do the test themselves. I assume you have registered dd for the Berks test?

I think they will take the average score from the two tests now but I am sure someone on here will know better then I.

Good luck

Mel
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

hi mel

no i havent registered is it too late? this is all so last minute, i really cant believe that she wants to sit another test! I dont know if my nerves can stand it!

hows your dd (and you of course) holding up? the test is even sooner for you, it all seems to be happening so fast now, are you planning a treat for after the 2nd test?
chad

Post by chad »

Hi,

No it's not too late to register.... see the berkshire region for the info:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-berks.php

The consortium deadline for application is Monday 6th October

Slough Grammar is Friday 10th October.

The region page also has the links to the various school's websites where you can find more info on admissions.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanx i will check-out the websites & register

do you know (roughly) what kind of % is needed on the non verbal to get through. We have worked on the 21 question types for bucks verbal and if they use the same i feel we should be ok for verbal, she is scoring in the 90's on most practice tests. We are currently on walsh.
tense

Post by tense »

Hi Blanca

Just out of interest, is your DD sittting the Berks, Bucks and Herts tests this year????!!!! :shock:

How will you cope with so many choices! I dithered over the 3 I could put on the CAF form for ages & that was just the Herts schools!

T x
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

hi tense

yes she will sit three test for three different counties. I have not listed the berks school as i'm not keen and had already filled in online application. I can still change the list up to closing date. Although she will now sit 3 tests we have not really thought about herts, as i am fairly sure we live close enough for a place anyway. The berks test is very last minute and she still may change her mind, so the only one that we have really spent time on is bucks.

when i say i'm not keen on berks ( i think the school is fantastic) its just the distance.

until a few days ago i was sure that we had listed her true preference in her true preference order with 2 of the schools being in herts and only one of them in the consortium. I'm still hoping that this will be the case, but as she is such a good girl and i have asked so much of her this year in terms of practice for bucks i feel it is only fair to help her if she really wants to try for berks school.

kids eh!!!
Road Runner

mel x

Post by Road Runner »

hi blanca i have sent you a pm

mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now