Reading Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Complete Novice

Reading Admission

Post by Complete Novice »

I visited the Reading School open evening last night and thought people might be interested to know that the admissions officer said that the entrance exam will still only be VR or NVR (as well as the English and Maths of course) . I asked him about the "and/or" and he said it should read just "or" and that they did not have any plans to introduce any paper which contained a mixture of VR and NVR.

I did really like Reading School but must admit I was dismayed by the lack of tranport provision. We are on the outer reaches of catchment being in SL6 7 and at the moment are wondering just how to get him there if he should be successful. I know a lot of boys go on the train but I just feel that at 11 it would be too much for him to cope with and I would worry myself to death about his safety. I wondered whether anyone with experience of Reading School knew whether in practice many lift shares are arranged or private mini buses?

Thank you

CM
usa

Post by usa »

Dear CM
The train station is a fair way from the school. It is about a 15 minute walk and he will have to cross a couple of main roads. School starts at 0820, so this automatically means an early set off from the house. Buses do run from the station but how frequently I do not know. Have not heard of any mini buses but SteveW61 will answer later I am sure! There are not many after school clubs so that shouldn't be much of an issue having to stay late. There wasn't too much homework in Year 7 - this was my understanding anyway... It is a good school but if you live Slough way - you may want to consider also Langley, Burnham etc. Keep your options open and start exploring the journey yourself. They grow up quickly but I must admit I would not have wanted my son to have done that walk to the station on a wet and dark afternoon.
Good luck
USA
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Complete Novice,

Some further info. here in the 2006 travel plan,

http://www.readingschool.reading.sch.uk ... /policies/

Lots of boys come by train and walk from the station, not many from Maidenhead? Looking at multimap you may get a bus along the A4?

The walk from the station to the school is ok, but the total journey might be a strain for the first few weeks.

They do grow up and adapt quickly. Last night my boy in year eight announced that his group were planning to walk to school rather than get the bus :shock: I think/hope he had forgotten this morning and caught the bus.

You will need to think about your CAF form and preferences. :twisted:

I think if I was in your position I would favour the Slough options, easier journey, more after school opportunities and more friends, school should be fun.

Good luck.

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I know a boy in yr7 coming in on the train from Maidenhead. Walk to station, from school, is more like 20+mins. It does make the day longer, but his parents are in a position to pick him up, and drop him off at the station to reduce overall journey time.

He also sat for JH, which would have been closer, but the boy preferred RGS, so that was placed first on CAF.

He's happy, but says his journey time is the only down side.

BW
Complete Novice

Reading Admission

Post by Complete Novice »

Thank you for all your replies. I must admit I am not as keen on the Slough options. We are in Maidenhead and have always thought we would move closer to Reading for senior schools but couldn't do it in time as I have 2 girls still at school in Maidenhead and can't go in two directions at once! I also felt Reading was suitable for him as he really is very academic and when they were describing the sort of boy that would fit it, it was him to a tee. It is such an outstanding school I am really keen to try and find a way to make it work. I am trying to encourage other Maidenhead parents to consider it as an option so that we might get together a taxi scheme or something. Oh well a whole year to worry about it!
CM
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

I don't know the schools in Slough but our son is in year 8 at Reading. Like yours he is very academic and is absolutely thriving at the school, which we are very pleased with. We live 12 miles away and getting him to and fro is certainly inconvenient, but in our opinion well worth it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now