2009 Slough Consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaysDarlin

2009 Slough Consortium

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi All.

Just wanted to know how many of us are sitting the Slough Consortium 11+...?

Im so confused as what to put down as our first choice. All SC schools have said that they will only accept those who put them down as 1st choice - however i was reading on the forums that someone didnt get into Tiffins yet Langley gave them a place?

Confused :shock:
chad

Post by chad »

I believe this is 'first choice within the consortium group of schools' ie ...it is a waste of time putting Langley then Herschel as herschel are fully subscribed with '1st choices'.
So putting a school 'outside the consortium' as first choice (ie Tiffin) is fine.
I am really unsure if this is allowed and there has been quite a discussion on this last year.....I will try to post a link when I find it.

Ok here is the link..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 98&start=0

but I can't find the 'preference' line in the Herschel admissions anymore..

Can anyone else throw some light on this... :?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks Chad, for posting the link to the old topic. :D

I specifically asked the deputy head at Herschel whether it would be okay to put Tiffins (not in the Slough Consortium) as first preference, and Herschel as 2nd... and she said if we did that they would never consider us.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

can someone clarify the situation re position on the CAF and comments from the school that if you did not put them first then you wouldn't have a chance.
I understood that the schools don't know whereabouts they are on the CAF.
WP

Post by WP »

hermanmunster wrote:can someone clarify the situation re position on the CAF and comments from the school that if you did not put them first then you wouldn't have a chance.
I understood that the schools don't know whereabouts they are on the CAF.
You are right. Moreover first-preference-first schemes are outlawed in admissions code. The SIF for the consortium schools does ask which consortium school you ranked highest (a minor violation, I think), but they won't know where you ranked them or anything about your other preferences.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

How is everyone getting on?
chad

Post by chad »

It's a bit quiet on the Berks forum this year.......a fair few reading but not many posting!!!
When does your dc take the 11+ , what school did you decide on for your pref.
My ds is now in Y9 at grammar.... loves it.....but not so blase about the work set... takes a bit more concentration.

I found the last week or so the worst as far as motivating my son ..... I didn't want to hassle him so that he was put off by the time the exam came round...but wanted him to have the best poss chance. I ended up going through the papers he had done and reviewing the ones he had struggled with..... just to make sure he had retained most of it. :roll:

Hope everything is calm in your household :)
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Chad, thanks for replying. Yes it is very quiet here!

We put down Langley as our Slough choice, and Tiffin Boys for our first choice.

Study at home is pretty hectic - for me mainly! Im trying my best to motivate him and not let him get bored. We werent very well prepared for this 11+... hopefully for the next two children we will do better!
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

JaysDarlin wrote:Hi Chad, thanks for replying. Yes it is very quiet here!

We put down Langley as our Slough choice, and Tiffin Boys for our first choice.

Study at home is pretty hectic - for me mainly! Im trying my best to motivate him and not let him get bored. We werent very well prepared for this 11+... hopefully for the next two children we will do better!
I am sure Langley will never find out that Tiffin was your first choice. This WILL remain between you, Tiffin and the LEA. On the other hand Langley will know that you have chosen them as your first choice within the consortium. Does it mean there is no point in asking for Herschel as second or third choice if Langley is your first choice? Herschel is our fourth choice after Langley, Tiffin, and Slough. My boy loved the school though. Daddy got most of the Shakespeare quotations quiz right and we had a long and very interesting conversation with the English teacher. I liked that school as well but it is too far for us.

We are taking it easy now. I have told my son to do his best and that is all I want from him. "Give it your best shot, play by your strength (VR) and don't worry about the result." He is perfectly happy with this demand and I will reward him for being so good. We had only one bad moment and I just left him to his own devices for two weeks, he came back to me apologizing and has been good ever since. I did not hate the whole 11+ thing. It could be worse with a more stubborn child.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

On the other hand Langley will know that you have chosen them as your first choice within the consortium. Does it mean there is no point in asking for Herschel as second or third choice if Langley is your first choice?
That's correct Drastic Dad. There is no point in putting down two schools in the same consortium. I think this is a loophole they have created after the PAN fair selection scheme came into effect.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now