Top 500 schools League table confused timesonline or BBC

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

greatmum

Top 500 schools League table confused timesonline or BBC

Post by greatmum »

Hi All,
I have just gone through the league table on Timesonline. It left me very confused. There are some Comp schools in that table with lower results than Slough Grammar and SG hasn't made it in this table. For example Heathland school is 396 (I think) with results in 70s and SG wasn't there. How do they work the ranks out. Only LG was 96th, Herschel 170th, St Bernards 179th and Burnham 184th. The BBC website has got completely different list.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I know that with the tables printed in the Times, that they send out invitations to schools to let them know what results the school achieved.
(I think this is before the official DCSF release date.)
The schools that respond are the then sorted and printed up in the papers in order. These tables then remain in this format, unchanged. If schools don't respond they are not put in. Therefore as you can see they are not wholly accurate.

HTH

BW
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Aha! The penny drops. Thanks BW!

chad

Post by chad »

It all depends on what they use to rank the schools....CV scores,,,, GCSE point per pupil, % of A* - C by pupil, average A' level points per pupil.... etc

Slough grammar does the IB so in the A'level lists would be nearly at the bottom....as historically the IB results have not been included but the total number of pupils (even those who took the IB) was used.

This meant that SG took a policy decision not to provide stats for the tables....as they are not indicative of the school. :roll: