Slough exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Redfish

slough exam

Post by Redfish »

Hello to all,

My DS sat the slough exam 2 days ago, and found it a lot easier than langley. No hidden surorises, the style and layout was what he was expecting. ( we have used Bond books and nfernelson papaers as practice)

I don't know if others know this but once the kids were taken to their appropriate classrooms, inbetween papaers, the supervisisng teacher did a mini poll of who had applied to their school and what position on the CAF.Personally I felt there was no need for this, and they should have asked the parents if they wanted to know. (is it because they are no longer in control of admissions but the council?)
(do they want to charge for the exam as lots of people sit the exam as practice for other schools?)

anyway all done time to rest and relax

good luck to all
redfish
chad

Post by chad »

Not heard of 'mini polls' before. Didn't happen with my son. Not sure whether I would have liked it either. Admissions haven't changed.
Slough council have always been the ones who send out the letters and inform the schools (although the Consortium and Slough Grammar also send out letters both for the result and the offer of a place).

The consortium still know the preference within the consortium as they have their own form.

Can't see them charging for the exam either as all the children in Slough primaries take it as a matter of course unless they opt out.

Good luck to all .... hope they achieve the school they want. :)
cordismith

Post by cordismith »

Slough has an opt in system,not opt out,unless its changed since dd sat it last year.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Jazzy, could this be being confused with the St. Bernards opting out of Grammar status on Church grounds, or being confused with SG coming out of the consortium (which has happened), perhaps.

Slough Grammar is still a high performing school, and personally I can see no reason why they would choose to do this.

Also just questioned DS2, and he advised that at HGs 11+, no one questioned them about preferences. He happily enjoyed a glass of apple juice and a kit-kat in his break. :)
chad

Post by chad »

As I am slightly out of area and an 11+ parent of 3 yrs ago I would guess that you are correct :) .....but as the consortium 11+ is done in the primary schools on a Thursday I have been told that most of the children sit it anyway.....is that right?
cordismith

Post by cordismith »

at our school certainly,dd guessed approx 40 children from her year of 60 when she sat the exam for the consortium,at sgs she saw only 7 of her year group!
jazzy

Post by jazzy »

Hi Bewildered

I don't know so many rumours, that's why I didn't sit my child for the exam at slough. Too late to think otherwise now. :? I also heard from other mums/dass that children where asked in break time what preference they had on CAF form.

My Daughter sat the Herschel exam and after was offered a kitkat and apple juice carton. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now