Reading Boys and Kendrick exams 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rosette

Post by Rosette »

Thank goodness for that! :D

That will teach me to go noseying around other area forums. :oops:

Thanks for the reply and good luck for results day.
Rosette
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Few notes on RGS 2008 11+.

All tests were Multiple choice.

Fortunately the English didn't include a short written piece. :D

Unfourtunately for DS it wasn't VR. :(
All NVR types that arose were standard NFER types; Matrices, Analogies, sequences. Timings varied 8min, 12mins etc per section, but similar to NFer time req's.

English consisted of a mix of mini comps, and 3 x grammar/spelling sections (similar to NFER English 11+). Booklet had index, contents and bibliography. Words such as ecstasy and quarantine were used.

Maths, no harder than KS2 SAT'S paper. 8x7= :shock: prime numbers, quite a few wordy questions (Z type, type), area, pie chart, fractions, decimals, money, time.

DS was assigned a room, after entering big school. Invigilator changed midway, and whole class taken for a walk, toilet stop, and snack break together.

I've just copied some of the notes I made at the time, hope it's of help to future hopefuls. :D

BW
Kusum

Post by Kusum »

Some more inputs from DS on RBS 11+:
All questions were multiple choice.
The first exam was Maths.(50 questions in 50 mins) Some of the questions were really easy. They had questions on pie chart, percentages, , area of right angled triangle, ratios, mean, range, sequences, etc. NVR had 4 sections- 65 questions in all. (No Codes this time)
English had 65 questions to be answered in 50 mins. There were 3 comprehensions- they were all related to one topic, in this case a school. About 10 questions per comprehension, about 20 questions for punctuation, spellings (eg scrutiny,conscious), capital letters, word meanings and there were about 15 general questions related to the comprehension and bibliography. ( qns like who is the author of this text, Which word in the in the index is not relevant etc). He found time to revise all papers unlike Langley 11+. Thanks,Steve, about your tip about the KS2 packs.
readingmum

kendrick exams

Post by readingmum »

Hi
I have been a frequent visitor to this site and it has helped me when my dd was preparing for kendrick,decided I will be brave and add a line,while most children kept saying that the kendrick paper was easy my dd said that the verbal was very tricky :?: ,non verbal according to her was ok,but time alone will tell :(
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi Readingmum

Welcome to the forum :D It's good to have you waiting with us! Only two weeks to go now ...

For Kendrick I have heard everything from 'it was easy' to 'it was very, very hard' so I don't think we are any the wiser really!
readingmum

Post by readingmum »

Thanks Torrylee,the wait is the worst bit,lesser than two weeks now as I applied online and if systems dont go down should know on the 2nd.
:)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Readingmum, Welcome to the Forum. :D
I'll be waiting along side you at midnight. MAYBE the system will be up.

Bored!!! of waiting and waiting and waiting.

Off to visit London Eye and Aquarium with DC tomorrow; Hopefully that day will go faster. DD is really looking forward to going on a train :D
readingmum

Post by readingmum »

Thanks Bewildered,I for sure will be up, waiting for the results on sunday night.The wait is really bad :x ,waiting to put all this away and start living life with out a nagging feeling at the back of my head :?
have fun with dd.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Waiters :lol: :lol:

I do feel for you and it is worse knowing the information is out there, from Reading Borough Council,
Secondary and Primary Schools informed of final allocation
23 February 2009
Allocation letters sent to parents
2 March 2009
Avoid all eye contact with teachers next week or you will drive yourself insane. :)

Joking apart it is a cruel system, the sooner we move to getting exam results (i.e. where you rank, which indicates chances of a place) before submitting CAF the better IMHO. It was discussed in 2005, but no progress yet :roll:

READING BOROUGH COUNCIL SCHOOL ADMISSION FORUM MINUTES – 5 OCTOBER 2005
Adrian’s paper also drew attention to a change in relation to Grammar Schools,
which stated that it was good practice for parents to know the outcome of
selective tests before the closing dates for applications to schools under coordinated
schemes. The impact on parental choice for grammar schools would be
reduced as a result of Reading’s change from a "first preference first" scheme to
an "equal preference scheme". The Forum considered the difficulties that would
arise, such as an earlier test date to ensure that the results were known by the
deadline of 24 October 2005. It would also necessitate the Schools’ open days
being brought forward along with the production of any associated paperwork for
these events.
Not sure that will help the waiting worriers :oops:

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Could I request that while the iron is still hot (so to speak :) ), for any information regarding 11+ prep or pass scores. Any and all info will greatly help future hopefuls. Thankyou to Torrylee and Kusum for already having shared some useful insights :D

Thanks

:D

BW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now