Slough Grammar vs St Benedicts, Ealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Plumbuddle

Slough Grammar vs St Benedicts, Ealing

Post by Plumbuddle »

We are in a quandary, DS having been accepted to both of these. DS is bright but dyspraxic, very difficult to teach and we anticipate social/emotional problems he has had will continue into secondary level. Has been heavily bullied at his "nice" Ealing state primary and has been perceived as a nuisance by teachers. Is there any parent out there with experience of either school who can suggest how he would get on at each? The fees seem a lot to pay for the easier school trip but he really cannot travel independently due to poor orientation so it is a big factor. He also I feel will hugely benefit from the more intimate but less pressured environment. But one keeps returning to those fees... are they really necessary to get the sense of cosiness and supervision he needs? Can anyone give us an idea of the emotional quality of each school and the level of pastoral care? Thanks folks
chad

Post by chad »

Hi... welcome to the forum

I have a son in Y9 at Slough Grammar. He has been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and this mainly affects his social skills.
I have nothing but praise for the SEN department at SG. They have been instrumental in my ds not only achieving academically but also building confidence in himself among his peers. His Form tutor (who they stay with throughout the school) is also very supportive.
If you would like to ask any specific questions then please send me a private message
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Our oldest daughter is at SGS and has been very fortunate on the pastoral front she is in Y10 and has had the same form tutor all the way through the school. I would highly recommend the school!
Plumbuddle

Glough Grammar

Post by Plumbuddle »

Thank you both of you for your kind replies. Time has moved on since I posted and in particular I have, thanks to Chad's kind advice, spoken to the senco at SGS who is just wonderful and the decision was a no-brainer! We went on a quick visit to meet her last month and DS is so comfortable with the school. Greatly looking forward to coming along next Sept. And if any other Ealing parent is reading this and would like to car share, please let me know. There are two families interested in setting this up next year. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now