Slough Grammars - Historical Data on Final Offers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wanderer

Re: Slough Grammars - Historical Data on Final Offers

Post by Wanderer »

Langley Grammar School has been heavily oversubscribed for the September 2017 entry and the initial offer of places has been made to all candidates in the Local Admissions Area and those in the General Admissions Area achieving an average score of 121 and above, and those scoring 120 and living closest to the school.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Slightly confused by your post, Wanderer, I thought that the local criteria meant that all children with a score of 111 plus automatically got a place and then the general criteria had a higher minimum "score" depending on how many places were left.
Have they changed things from the published current admissions criteria? .
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Aethel I just wanted to let you know I'm trying to reply to your pm but keep getting an error message & it won't send. I've reported it & will reply as soon as I can!
scary mum
programmer

Post by programmer »

Hi Scary mum,

I have sent you a PM, can you please let me know if you are able to reply to that. Thanks.
mpat

Post by mpat »

Hello experts,

Can somebody explain me what does this phrase really imply (especially 'rank down') ? --> "Upton court: rank down to 114, distance to 7 miles" ??
sang

Post by sang »

Hi

The historical data at the beginning of the thread mentions "all eligible timely applicants" were offered a place in Upton court in several years. What do they mean by "timely"? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for any guidance.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

That they applied on time and weren't late applicants at a guess. Its the wording the consortium themselves used.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mpat wrote:Hello experts,

Can somebody explain me what does this phrase really imply (especially 'rank down') ? --> "Upton court: rank down to 114, distance to 7 miles" ??
You may have worked this out for yourself by now, but my understanding would be that the 120th candidate, who would have been admitted under the 'up to 120 places in score order' category (not necessarily the 120th actually in score order, as some of those in higher oversubscription categories may actually have had a lower score) had a score of 114 and the last candidate to be admitted under the next criterion (distance) lived 7 miles away from the school. (This is taken from the current admissions policy - I'm assuming that the policy was the same for the year you quoted).

6. Where the number of eligible pupils reaching the required standard in the 11+ tests exceeds the number of
places available, places will be allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria in this order of
priority:
(i) Looked after Children who are being accommodated, or who have been taken into care by a local
authority under section 20, 31 or 38 of the Children Act 1989. The first priority will go to children who
are legally defined as looked after by the local authority at the time an application to the school is
made, and young people previously looked after, who are children defined as those who were looked
after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted (in accordance with Section 46 of the Adoption
and Children Act 2002), or subject to a residence order (in accordance with Section 8 of the Children
Act 1989) or a special guardianship order (in accordance with Section 14A of the Children Act 1989).
(ii) Up to 15 places will be offered to applicants who are currently eligible, or have been eligible within
the previous six years, for Free School Meals (Pupil Premium). If the number of applicants in this
category is greater than 15, places will be offered in rank order according to 11+ score, and then
distance from the school (see paragraph vii).
(iii) Children of members of staff who have been employed at Upton Court Grammar School for 2 years
or more prior to submission of the Common Application Form (CAF) on 0.5 of full time or above or
filling a vacant post where there is a skills shortage. The term “staff” refers to any employee who is
permanently employed by Upton Court Grammar School, and excludes those contracted through
external agencies.
(iv) Children that are attending, at the time of submission of the Common Application Form (CAF),
Foxborough Primary School or Trevelyan Middle School (members of Upton Court Educational
Trust) as the designated feeder schools.
(v) Up to 120 Pupils in rank order of performance in the 11+ tests. If pupils are admitted through criteria
5, 6(i), 6(ii), 6(iii) and 6(iv), this number will reduce accordingly.

(vi) The remaining offers, up to the PAN of 165, for a place will be made by proximity to the school,
nearest first, measured ‘as the crow flies’ from the main entrance of the school to the front door of
the child’s home address (house or flat), using Slough’s Geographical Information System (GIS),
with those closer to the school receiving higher priority.
The ‘home address’ is defined as the address where the child is normally resident. Where there is
shared custody of the child or the child lives at more than one address in any given week, it is the
address of the parent or carer who receives child benefit for that child, or in the absence of child
benefit it is the address of the parent or carer with whom the child resides for the greater duration.
In the event of a tie between two or more children with equal proximity to the school, for example if
two applicants live in the same block
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BeOptimistic

Post by BeOptimistic »

Hi everyone,
I have been reading for the first time in Slough forum from the 1st March and the reason is I feel very guilty for my son who passed the exam and he got 118.
I think that I did the mistake of my life as I didn't put any Slough grammar school in his CAF. We are limited to 3 choices so I put queen Elizabeth as first preferred school and then two local schools. I didn't put any Slough school because when I did my research for their admission criteria I thought as living about 30 miles away there will be no chance for him to get a place.

Now He hasn't secured any grammar place, he is in the 50 position in the waiting list for QE Barnet...finger crossed for that.

Now I have two questions which you may already discussed in this forum but please just be patient with me.

1- I'm right by not considering Slough school as we live above 30 miles? I checked the historical data but there is little information about the distance. Is it possible to get a place in Upton court or even Herschel when you live that far?

2-If the answer to my first question is that yes I did a mistake, is it possible then to do an appeal to add my son to the waiting list when we didn't put these schools initially in the CAF?

I feel really guilty for my poor and clever little one I didn't sleep or eat from the time we got the offer, Please advice me
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m Reading based so can only guide you in what has happened in previous years.
30 miles away is quite a distance, so even if you had got a place, I think you would have needed to move (is that what you would have planned to do?). However my gut feeling is that it may have been too far. I’ll have a look at this years allocations thread and see if it gives me a clue.
The Slough schools don’t publish the allocations data I include in the first post on this thread until the following year when the test results come out.

I think in previous years QE has moved that far but I’m not sure as I don’t keep a close eye on that region,