Slough Grammars - Historical Data on Final Offers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Slough Grammars - Historical Data on Final Offers

Post by Tinkers »

You can apply now for another school but as you didn’t apply before 31st October 2017 for a 2018 place , it will be classed as a late application as it’s late.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BeOptimistic wrote:
Tinkers wrote:You can’t appeal for a school until you have applied and been turned down, so your first step will be to make a late application. You will be added to the waiting list and they will tell you your position on that list.

You can be on the waiting list and also put in an appeal. However I don’t know how successful an appeal will be as I’ve not heard of a successful Slough appeal in the time I’ve been on the forum. That doesn’t mean there hasn’t been. However if it’s anything like Kendrick and Reading School it will be highly unlikely you would succeed. You’ll need to be realistic. Especially since you live quite a distance away and didn’t initially put any Slough schools on your list.

You should be able to ask the Slough consortium questions about how much the waiting list has moved in previous years, how much appeals have been heard and how many have been successful. They may be helpful and give you the info, or you may have to put in a FOI request. (Can I request that if you get any useful info you let me know for future reference?)

Sorry Tinkers but what do you mean by late application ?

I know Harpenden is really good place but My husband and I are very academic and having our son in a grammar school is really important especially for my husband
How do the top children perform in the local schools? I bet they do as well as at the grammar schools. As someone else said, Harpenden is lovely. Slough isn't.
scary mum
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

BeOptimistic

please find uptoncourt - admission policy

http://www.uptoncourtgrammar.org.uk/upl ... _Final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1- I'm right by not considering Slough school as we live above 30 miles? I checked the historical data but there is little information about the distance. Is it possible to get a place in Upton court or even Herschel when you live that far?

you are wrong to not considering Slough school because as you can see Policy 6.5 - there is not criteria for distance like Langley School in same area.
however traveling for 30 mile is different problem for that only solution is move house - I will leave pros and cons for that decision to you as family.

I have seen on other post that someone got admission with 118 - same score like to your DS , so if you have put that school in CAF, I guess you would have already got it or top in wait list - worst case scenario

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 56#p658556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now main question is how to add your DS name in waitlist if you really want
I am not sure , may be you can reach out Slough/Barnet/School on next week or other expert in this forum can guide you ..

Best Luck
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

BeOptimistic wrote:We are limited to 3 choices so I put queen Elizabeth as first preferred school and then two local schools.
Are you sure you were limited to 3 choices?

From what I can tell here:

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/servic ... laces.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Making an application

When you apply, you should list 4 schools in order of preference (we sometimes call this your "ranked" schools)."
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

I think they stay in Barnet not Herts.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

neo1232 wrote:I think they stay in Barnet not Herts.
Sorry, I thought they were in Harpenden as they stated "We are based in Harpenden 36 miles ...we were considering to move near Slough if..."
BeOptimistic

Post by BeOptimistic »

Thanks everyone who tried to answer my questions.

Sorry I wasn't that accurate in my first posts, we live just in Bedfordshire Hertfordshire border s my son goes to Harpenden school and he has been offered a place in a very good high school in Harpenden where most of his friends are going to.

Thanks neo1232 for your reply, unfortunately We read the criteria but we thought that 120 places in Upton or the 60-70 places in Herschel which are based in rank order of performance still really tough for my son score and our distance in case of same score.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BeOptimistic wrote:Hi everyone,
I have been reading for the first time in Slough forum from the 1st March and the reason is I feel very guilty for my son who passed the exam and he got 118.
I think that I did the mistake of my life as I didn't put any Slough grammar school in his CAF. We are limited to 3 choices so I put queen Elizabeth as first preferred school and then two local schools. I didn't put any Slough school because when I did my research for their admission criteria I thought as living about 30 miles away there will be no chance for him to get a place.

Now He hasn't secured any grammar place, he is in the 50 position in the waiting list for QE Barnet...finger crossed for that.

Now I have two questions which you may already discussed in this forum but please just be patient with me.

1- I'm right by not considering Slough school as we live above 30 miles? I checked the historical data but there is little information about the distance. Is it possible to get a place in Upton court or even Herschel when you live that far?

2-If the answer to my first question is that yes I did a mistake, is it possible then to do an appeal to add my son to the waiting list when we didn't put these schools initially in the CAF?

I feel really guilty for my poor and clever little one I didn't sleep or eat from the time we got the offer, Please advice me
You can only appeal for a place at a school to which you have applied and been turned down. If you really want your DS to be considered for a place at a school not originally on your CAF, then you could check with your LA as to whether you can make a late application.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BeOptimistic

Post by BeOptimistic »

Hi all,

Thanks to your helpful advices, I have submitted as you have suggested a late application for myDS in witch I have put Upton court and Herschel grammar schools as second and third choices after QE.
I contacted both grammar schools and they were so positif about my DS chance to gain a place within their school as he will be with a score of 118 in the top of the list.
We will hear from them hopfully the first week of May. I will let you know.

Thanks all, you are all amazing.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

I know you have put in a late application and wish you luck but homestly, why on earth move 30 miles and take your son away from what you describe as a very good school place with all his friends, in a nice area, purely to polish the name “grammar” on his school badge?

Can’t you write the word “grammar” in sharpie on his new school’s prospectus and tell your relatives and friends that he passed the examinations well but you feel community and independent travel to a nearby school is superior to a long commute. If he’s the intelligent child you say he is, He will do just as well at a good school as at any grammar. There is no GCSE grade above 9, they don’t invent higher grades to give to those kids in a grammar school! Why on earth does this label make your child’s status worth more than if he was the same child at a non selective school?