2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by quasimodo »

wolvomommy wrote:According to this forum in 2017 the lowest score to get a place was 317, and it went down to 314 on the waiting list.
In 2016 in was 314 and then 311 on the waiting list.
In 2015 it was 321 and 318 on the waiting list - I think this year's data might not be accurate.

On my letter it says "over the last five years, the lowest total score achieving entry ranged from 297-316" so the lowest score in 2015 to gain entry can't have been 318.

Can anyone clarify??

Upon checking from a previous post of mine from the 21st September 2014 it seems for entry to WGHS for admission in September 2014 the offer mark was 318 and girls with offer marks of 316 got in off the waiting list.This was confirmed in a letter to parents who were applying for admission the following year for their daughters.On that occasion individual last scores from the waiting lists were given for individual years.

The score of 297 was the last admission score for the last girl from the waiting list in 2013.This score should be seen as an aberration as it was under the old system of admissions from list numbers.

My youngest dd joined WGHS in September 2015 and I am aware of some girls joining the school in that cohort throughout the academic year after September 2015.

I hope this assists.
Last edited by quasimodo on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

Thanks, that's useful.

I think the 2015 data is incorrect though, as according to this forum 318 was the lowest score to get offered a place, but it must be 316 or lower according to the WGHS letter?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

wolvomommy wrote:Thanks, that's useful.

I think the 2015 data is incorrect though, as according to this forum 318 was the lowest score to get offered a place, but it must be 316 or lower according to the WGHS letter?
I think you are right.

I recall the information for the school from that year and it was accurately posted and indeed some of it came from the admissions officer at the school.It seems clear a girl on that waiting list at some stage while that waiting list existed gained admission at a score of 316.This has only become apparent from the letter parents received with their daughters scores late last year.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
wolvomommy

Post by wolvomommy »

Thanks for the clarification.
I'm just desperately analysing the data to work out our chances!
Lategate

Post by Lategate »

Thanks for the reassuring words Buckbeak. I think i’ve read every 2017 post on offers day cutoffs and waiting list offers! It has been so useful to know that the waiting list can still be a place of hope. I have nothing useful to add for anyone today, just that mine and DH’s nerves are building, whilst DS seems blissfully unaware that offers day is looming! DH had a meeting with LEA SENCOs yesterday, one of whom said that all the LEA’s places are now allocated. DH had to bite his tongue and not ask her to find out DS’ allocated place. Not that she would have told him, but DH is usually Mr Calm. This nugget had him rather on edge. Thank goodness for half term and hopefully the distraction from school.
Mumov3

Post by Mumov3 »

I'm a bit of novice, so excuse the stupid questions please! :D I wish i'd found this forum 6 months ago.

My DS took the KEFW exam, and also KES. We didn't tutor for various different reasons but now wish we had. He got 220, so we know there is no chance at all of him getting into KEFW. We are too far away in distance to the others that he may have got into so didn't put them down. He's been offered an assisted place at KES but we would REALLY be stretching ourselves and have two other children. I don't work for health reasons.

The local high school is excellent, and he is high on a waiting list for OSH but again the fees are higher than we would like to pay. My DS is heartbreakingly still holding out hope for KEFW but I know that in a couple of weeks time we are going to have to make a tough decision. Do you think it is worth the extra travel/money/effort to put him through KES? There isn't transport from where we live at the moment.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mumov3 wrote:I'm a bit of novice, so excuse the stupid questions please! :D I wish i'd found this forum 6 months ago.

My DS took the KEFW exam, and also KES. We didn't tutor for various different reasons but now wish we had. He got 220, so we know there is no chance at all of him getting into KEFW. We are too far away in distance to the others that he may have got into so didn't put them down. He's been offered an assisted place at KES but we would REALLY be stretching ourselves and have two other children. I don't work for health reasons.

The local high school is excellent, and he is high on a waiting list for OSH but again the fees are higher than we would like to pay. My DS is heartbreakingly still holding out hope for KEFW but I know that in a couple of weeks time we are going to have to make a tough decision. Do you think it is worth the extra travel/money/effort to put him through KES? There isn't transport from where we live at the moment.
Not in your area, although vaguely familiar with the area around KES as DS1 is over the road at the University of Birmingham, but personally, given the choice (I'm assuming that you DS will certainly be allocated a place at the high school?) between a non-selective but 'excellent' local school and one which I couldn't really afford and my DC couldn't get to anyway, I would go for the former. Your DS will be able to stay on the waiting list for the grammar school, but I would make sure that he understood that he should throw himself into life at the school he is allocated, not regard it as just a 'waiting room' for somewhere else.

If your offer from KES had been more financially viable, how would your DS have got to the school? Or do you mean that the school itself doesn't organise transport from where you live, rather than that you are not on the relevant rail line / public bus routes?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mumov3

Post by Mumov3 »

Thanks toad mum for your reply.

It would be his Dad taking and picking up on way to/from work. It would add extra twenty minutes to his journey. Kes said they would more than likely be offering transport at their open day before the exam otherwise I wouldn't have entered him. Also the ap fees were supposed to be half what we now know them to be, as I hadn't included inheritance. (we aren't talking millions here obviously, it's some money my dad left when he died young after working hard in a tough job that we could do with keeping for a rainy day. Not looking for sympathy just putting perspective in there). I just feel he has done it all for nothing if we don't send him, and even on the waiting list realistically 220 isn't going to get him in to kefw.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Unfortunately people who get offered big aps are those who don't have rainy day money, rightly. The school would argue why should they give you remission just so you can hold onto your inheritance!

I think you should follow TMs advice. Wait till you are formally rejected from KEFW, accept the place at the local HS and ask to be put on the waiting list for KEFW. With two other children coming up, you need to be realistic about what you can afford and, if you "end" up with a good HS (not to be sniffed at) having siblings already in the school is a good thing.
Mumov3

Post by Mumov3 »

Kenyancowgirl you're absolutely right I wouldn't expect the school to do that. I was just giving background to why we thought it was an option before. Thank you for replying.