Highclare

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thirdtimemum

Highclare

Post by thirdtimemum »

I was just wondering whether any parents have chosen to send their child to Highclare? Or if any have children there already? DD didn't do great on the 11+ so we have opted for here instead and wondered if others are in the same boat?
Ricky74

Re: Highclare

Post by Ricky74 »

I don't have personal experience of this school, but we were certainly looking into this at one point.

I know somebody whose son narrowly missed the mark last year and is well settled in year 7.

It is non selective, so it depends if this is something you are happy with. We were - I liked the small (but not too small) class sizes and pastoral care/feel.

Transport wise, there is a bus but this is an additional cost.

Have you visited this school and others? What does dd think? How close is it to home? Have you looked at GCSE options to see if they suit?

They seem to have a good reputation and are well established. There are two classes of around 22? Students in y7. I wouldnt want any smaller as it gives more friendship choices.

Lots of clubs and extra curricular. They swim at Erdington baths and have purchased a new sports field a bus ride away.

They seem big on arts, music, creativity and sport (as you might expect from an inde) and the headteacher seems to be really passionate about children's all round experience - not just academic.

Results wise, they don't appear next to other indes such as KES, Edgbaston High Wolverhampton Grammar etc. but I also know of another family whose daughters excelled due to the nurturing environment.

Bursaries are available in y7.

Hopefully somebody with first hand experience will be along soon.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

No personal experience but I went to Sutton Girls with someone whose 2 younger sisters went to Highclare and both did really well there. More recently I had a student on placement who went there and had a really good experience. She left to go elsewhere for sixth form as she felt the sixth form choices were too narrow and class sizes too small in sixth form.
It has a good reputation and I have never heard any negatives.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Again, no personal experience, but know of someone with a child in Y6 there. They have said that they are very supportive, especially as their child has additional physical needs and that they are thriving there. As Ricky says, music is high on their agenda and they offer scholarships for this.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thank you all. Yes we have visited and love the school. I'm really pleased that others have heard positive things about there too. Not much seems to get mentioned in here about the non selective schools and the 'independant school board' is very much focused on schools in the south.