Four Saturdays to go!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Skylark

Re: Four Saturday's to go!

Post by Skylark »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Skylark wrote:it feels as if you are saying- don't write on this forum if you haven't written grammatically correct and you can say all these things because you have been on here longer. Is that correct?
No, not at all, and my comments were indeed "tongue-in-cheek". It was simply the conjunction of your question, as to what to bear in mind at this stage, and the two posts with the exact mirror images of how the apostrophe can be misused.

The defence of the apostrophe is one of those peculiarly English pursuits in certain quarters https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I do not subscribe to that website). However, more seriously, correct use of the apostrophe comes up in the 11+, so it does matter as part of preparation.

Congratulations on your new baby, and I wish both your and halsea's children the very best of luck in the tests.

Sally-Anne, I am new to the forum. I think you could of been more tactful in your approach, and sent me a pm instead of correcting me in the public forum. It was an autocorrect mistakes and in hindsight- I should not type and hold a baby at the same time.

Thank you for the well wishes.
halsea

Re: Four Saturdays to go!

Post by halsea »

Thanks Skylark, I had to re learn maths GCSE in a month after almost 30 years lol! I just wanted to say good luck everyone in managing the stress and the tests :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Skylark wrote:I think you could of been more tactful in your approach, and sent me a pm instead of correcting me in the public forum. It was an autocorrect mistakes and in hindsight- I should not type and hold a baby at the same time. Thank you for the well wishes.
It was a genuinely funny succession of posts, and I did mention the possibility that both of you were victims of auto-correct.

If I PMed everyone on this forum who made an error due to English not being their first language, or because their phone auto-corrected, I would barely have slept for the last 14 years.

However, as you are probably feeling even more sleep-deprived at present than I would have been after that, I apologise sincerely for any offence.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Skylark wrote:I was looking at the calendar today and I still can't believe there is such a short time left. I am trying to appear calm for my son, but I just feel so anxious for him :?. How have other experienced parents spent the last few weeks, anything to be specifically mindful about?

Edited due to grammatical errors.
Hi,

I read your post and know what you are feeling. Time is close now. You hope to feel that you are both ready, but you have doubt. Your child maybe fatigued by it all now. Alarmingly, your child may seem to have forgotten the simplest concepts. This is how it was for us anyway. :?

Our DD1 got a place in WGHS in 2015. DD2 will be joining her in September.

At this stage, we did not go over any concepts. We felt that our DD may lose confidence. Instead, we used Bond's 10 minute tests for speed practice. Also, we used CGP CEM practice papers. From our experience, they are to closest in format to the actual test, according to our DD'S memories of the test. Learning the format is vital.

At this stage, children chilling out was our way. Lots of parklife, PlayStation, trampolining - anything that distracts them from what they will have to do in September.

Afterall, this is our pressure, not theirs. They will benefit if they are successful, but they are far too young to appreciate this or handle the burden.

On the day of the test, we just let them burn off more energy in the garden- trampoline and bike. That's what worked for us.

Best advice we can give is to remain calm. If we are not, our DCs will detect it. We can't let them. It is just a test. If they pass or not, our DC's have done incredibly. They will succeed in any school. The work done to prepare for 11+ will have accelerated their educational levels, so this is hugely beneficial for their educational journey in any case.

It doesn't seem it now, but over time, you will see this 11+ journey you have taken with your DCs as a win/win situation ; as long as we take things calmly for the sake of ourselves and our DCs emotional wellbeing. See it as a game....a challenge..... Try to enjoy it with our DCs (of course I know, easier said than done!! :) )

I hope this was helpful and good luck to all you lovely parents. Parenting ; it ain't easy!! 8)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Buckbeak wrote:
Skylark wrote:I was looking at the calendar today and I still can't believe there is such a short time left. I am trying to appear calm for my son, but I just feel so anxious for him :?. How have other experienced parents spent the last few weeks, anything to be specifically mindful about?

Edited due to grammatical errors.
Hi,

I read your post and know what you are feeling. Time is close now. You hope to feel that you are both ready, but you have doubt. Your child maybe fatigued by it all now. Alarmingly, your child may seem to have forgotten the simplest concepts. This is how it was for us anyway. :?

Our DD1 got a place in WGHS in 2015. DD2 will be joining her in September.

At this stage, we did not go over any concepts. We felt that our DD may lose confidence. Instead, we used Bond's 10 minute tests for speed practice. Also, we used CGP CEM practice papers. From our experience, they are to closest in format to the actual test, according to our DD'S memories of the test. Learning the format is vital.

At this stage, children chilling out was our way. Lots of parklife, PlayStation, trampolining - anything that distracts them from what they will have to do in September.

Afterall, this is our pressure, not theirs. They will benefit if they are successful, but they are far too young to appreciate this or handle the burden.

On the day of the test, we just let them burn off more energy in the garden- trampoline and bike. That's what worked for us.

Best advice we can give is to remain calm. If we are not, our DCs will detect it. We can't let them. It is just a test. If they pass or not, our DC's have done incredibly. They will succeed in any school. The work done to prepare for 11+ will have accelerated their educational levels, so this is hugely beneficial for their educational journey in any case.

It doesn't seem it now, but over time, you will see this 11+ journey you have taken with your DCs as a win/win situation ; as long as we take things calmly for the sake of ourselves and our DCs emotional wellbeing. See it as a game....a challenge..... Try to enjoy it with our DCs (of course I know, easier said than done!! :) )

I hope this was helpful and good luck to all you lovely parents. Parenting ; it ain't easy!! 8)

It was really helpful Buckbeak :D
Thank you for taking the time out to reply, really useful advice. It's definitely a win/win situation whatever the outcome- I am always reminding my son that hard work and giving it a try is more important than the outcome. It's having the courage to go for it.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Skylark wrote:I think you could of been more tactful in your approach, and sent me a pm instead of correcting me in the public forum. It was an autocorrect mistakes and in hindsight- I should not type and hold a baby at the same time. Thank you for the well wishes.
It was a genuinely funny succession of posts, and I did mention the possibility that both of you were victims of auto-correct.

If I PMed everyone on this forum who made an error due to English not being their first language, or because their phone auto-corrected, I would barely have slept for the last 14 years.

However, as you are probably feeling even more sleep-deprived at present than I would have been after that, I apologise sincerely for any offence.

Thank you Sally-Anne for your apology :D

Being sleep deprived makes you emotional and probably not as rational as one would like to be. I will be more careful with your English language, so as not to offend native speakers with my lack of proof-reading. It's so hard with typing quickly on a phone, nevertheless, I will take your advice on board.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

halsea wrote:Thanks Skylark, I had to re learn maths GCSE in a month after almost 30 years lol! I just wanted to say good luck everyone in managing the stress and the tests :)

Oh wow, well done for giving learning a try again. I too had to quickly re-learn or re-remember topics and concepts- while supporting my son with his 11+. We mostly diyed, but it is so hard with a baby in the house to get anything done.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Not sure why these few days has reminded me of Robert Frost and his poem. All the best to our children- who has done so well and made the effort. Whatever the result, they did well for even trying.

The Road Not Taken
BY ROBERT FROST

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

MSD

Post by MSD »

Skylark wrote:
Sally-Anne wrote:

Thank you Sally-Anne for your apology :D

Being sleep deprived makes you emotional and probably not as rational as one would like to be. I will be more careful with your English language, so as not to offend native speakers with my lack of proof-reading. It's so hard with typing quickly on a phone, nevertheless, I will take your advice on board.
Skylark, I understand how you feel and I am sure it was a 'tongue in cheek' comment from SA, in this instance. On a general note, I agree the last thing you want to be doing is proof-reading your posts on a 11+ forum for minor typos and apostrophes. Surely, we must encourage posters from all backgrounds to participate here, and not judge them and push them away based on their English writing skills. I have experienced similar behaviour first hand and it's all too common for trivial typos and grammatical errors to be intentionally highlighted, which really have no bearing on the actual message being communicated. Quite immature and snobbish in my personal opinion
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now