Progress attainment vs GCSE league table

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Progress attainment vs GCSE league table

Post by Guest55 »

You are wrong - all schools go through a monitoring system [even outstanding schools] which will red flag any issue with data.

"If Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector (HMCI) or the Secretary of State has concerns about the performance of an exempt school (or any other school covered by section 5), HMCI has powers to inspect it at any time under section 8 of the
Act. Under section 8, the Secretary of State may require HMCI to conduct an inspection of an exempt school (or any other school covered by section 5). The Secretary of State may also require HMCI to treat the inspection as if it were carried out under section 5.
Exempt schools are subject to risk assessment. If the risk assessment process raises concerns about the performance of an exempt school, it may be inspected at any time after the completion of the risk assessment. If no concerns are raised from the risk assessment, the school will not be informed."

etc etc [my bold]

[Ofsted inspection handbook pp9 -10]
MSD

Post by MSD »

This risk assessment is nothing more than an automated "Machine learning algorithm" that churns out some data and, supposedly, identifies any potential decline. And based on the results of this decline, Ofsted inspectors may decide to carry out a full inspection. We have already noted these Progress 8 measures fail on several counts, so, not entirely convinced, if it would at all be worth analysing those figures for any risk in the first place.
Last edited by MSD on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - they do include Progress 8 in that data exercise. A three year downward trend would be red-flagged.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Yes, that's what I meant - it might be a total waste of an exercise, analysing data for Progress 8, which doesn't really provide a level playing field for schools and disadvantages many.

Kumar - What schools do you have in mind and how far are you from each school? Maybe posters here can shed further light on the pros and cons of each based on their own experience
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't agree - have you had Ofsted training?
kumarkj

Post by kumarkj »

Thank you all.

MSD, thank you for the equation that you shared, as it was more or less spot on.
From the distance standpoint, CHG and HGS are closer to us. I believe those will be our top two preferences.
I still wanted to understand as to why the progress attainment is not reflecting the GCSE performances.
MSD

Post by MSD »

kumarkj wrote:Thank you all.

MSD, thank you for the equation that you shared, as it was more or less spot on.
From the distance standpoint, CHG and HGS are closer to us. I believe those will be our top two preferences.
I still wanted to understand as to why the progress attainment is not reflecting the GCSE performances.
Kumar, I am glad you found it useful. I saw another thread floating around discussing CHG v HGS. That should give you some insight. All the best to your child and remember a bright, hard working child, will do equally well in any of these exceptional grammars, and here I talk from experience of having boys at two different schools. I would suggest go with the one that will be easy to commute to and will work for you long term. Eventually, you are the best judge for your child; we can only advice based on our experience.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now