Catchment Areas Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSD

Re: Catchment Areas Birmingham

Post by MSD »

I doubt it will have any adverse impact on next year's entries but will certainly be interesting to see how things pan out for 2020. As I mentioned earlier, parental views coming out of one small tuition business, which this year produced little less than 1/4th of all CHB/G non-PP eligible entries, do not look favourable. It will be interesting to see if these high scorers, being in CH catchment, do put CHB/G as their top choice on CAF. I guess out of all grammars, CH schools will take the biggest hit - no wonder management isn't pleased with proposals.
Veggie

Post by Veggie »

I hope they do introduce catchment areas for schools. People from Stratford, Stafford, Wolverhampton etc should not be going to school's in Birmingham, these schools should be for local kids from Birmingham simple.
clover4green

Post by clover4green »

what if there won't be many 220s in the catchment, so school like ch still will get certain amount of highest score children from where outside the catchment.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Veggie wrote:I hope they do introduce catchment areas for schools. People from Stratford, Stafford, Wolverhampton etc should not be going to school's in Birmingham, these schools should be for local kids from Birmingham simple.
You've just quoted areas with their own grammar schools. What about children from sandwell who could potentially be one house away from living in Birmingham? Children who simply have the wrong postcode but live closer to a school than a large proportion of those in the catchment zones. Do they not deserve the right to social mobility? It's just not as simple as Birmingham schools for Birmingham children! The primary schools don't even operate in this way.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Veggie wrote:I hope they do introduce catchment areas for schools. People from Stratford, Stafford, Wolverhampton etc should not be going to school's in Birmingham, these schools should be for local kids from Birmingham simple.
Not always simple unfortunately - as Rooroo says it is not these area who have a problem. Schools are funded by central government taxes not local taxes
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

hermanmunster wrote:
Not always simple unfortunately - as Rooroo says it is not these area who have a problem. Schools are funded by central government taxes not local taxes
I think the truth is somewhere in between. Academies are funded by central gov and maintained schools by local gov. And at the bottom of it all, local authorities are still responsible for providing adequate provision of places within their administrative area. My understanding is that place provision is not funded by central government (correct me if wrong!). So as soon as the population in a particular administrative area increases to the point that a new school is required, the local authority has to fund that. So is it fair that the residents of an area fund a new school which would not have been required in the first place without all the OOC pupils in certain existing schools?

ETA: same principle applies to capital extensions to existing schools required to accommodate pupil numbers. Not just whole new schools.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:
You've just quoted areas with their own grammar schools. What about children from sandwell who could potentially be one house away from living in Birmingham? Children who simply have the wrong postcode but live closer to a school than a large proportion of those in the catchment zones. Do they not deserve the right to social mobility? It's just not as simple as Birmingham schools for Birmingham children! The primary schools don't even operate in this way.
Sorry, one small correction - no grammar school for boys in Wolves either.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

MSD wrote:
Rooroo wrote:
Sorry, one small correction - no grammar school for boys in Wolves either.
Do Wolverhampton boys generally travel to QMGS or Adams then? I can't imagine many Wolverhampton boys travelling to Birmingham grammars, although I could be wrong.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

And do we think Walsall and Wolverhampton will follow suit with catchments?
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:And do we think Walsall and Wolverhampton will follow suit with catchments?
No idea. I hope not as the only nearest grammars for boys in Wolverhampton are either in Birmingham or Walsall.

Quasi will probably know more about Walsall and Wolverhampton Girls High future plans
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now